none
SQL instances can't be found when clients make a VPN connection RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

So we have this strange problem on one of our Windows Server 2008 SBS. The SQL instances becomes unavailable when one of the clients connects with VPN (Windows-VPN). This is not a remote problem, it affects the users internally on the network as well.

The SQL version is 2005 express. The server has 3 different instances installed on it. One being the SBSMONITORING, second the MICROSOFT##SSEE and third MAMUT. Mamut is the program the clients are using from their machines locally, which stops accepting connections after someone initiated a VPN connection to the server.

I have some events from the log that says the following:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        SQLBrowser
    Date:          28.08.2013 13:50:34
    Event ID:      3
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      SERVER.domain.local
    Description:
    The configuration of the AdminConnection\TCP protocol in the SQL instance MAMUT is not valid.

And:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        SQLBrowser
    Date:          28.08.2013 13:50:34
    Event ID:      3
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      SERVER.Domain.local
    Description:
    The configuration of the AdminConnection\TCP protocol in the SQL instance MICROSOFT##SSEE is not valid.

If these are presented in the event log, the clients can't start the SQL application from their computer and receives "SQL server not found". The only solution to this is to restart the server.

I have also checked that the TCP/IP protocol is enabled for the instance: Mamut.

I have read that this can happen if the port that vpn is using and the port that the SQL instance is using are the same. But I have no idea how to check or fix this. Can anyone help me with this?

- Thanks!

• Edited by Schnips Wednesday, August 28, 2013 12:55 PM
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 12:54 PM

All replies

• Hi  ,

The issue occurs due to below reasons: the internal SQL Server configuration is wrong, the client didn’t configure VPN correctly, or the VPN itself has problem.

We will help you troubleshoot the issue from SQL Server side to ensure the internal SQL Server connection is correct . Basically, when we failed to connect to your SQL Server from internal network, the issue could be:
    1) Network issue,
    2) SQL Server configuration issue.
    3) Firewall issue,
    4) Client driver issue,
    5) Application configuration issue.
    6) Authentication and logon issue.

For the detailed troubleshoot steps, please refer to the article below. Of course, you can paste the connection error message here and we will help you troubleshoot the issue.

After internal connection is correct, if the VPN connection issue persists, we may need to involve a network administrator to work with us on this issue.

Steps to troubleshoot SQL connectivity issues
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sql_protocols/archive/2008/04/30/steps-to-troubleshoot-connectivity-issues.aspx
    Thanks,
    Candy Zhou

Thursday, August 29, 2013 9:51 AM