none
error invoking GetSecurityDescriptor on Win32_LogicalFileSecuritySetting RRS feed

• Question

•  Hi all,

I am using the code below in order to put together a list of folders, their owner and possibly some other related data (size, last access, etc.):

static void Main(string[] args)
    {
    string strOwner;
    string strOwnerDomain;
    string strOwnerSID;

string strPath = "c:\\temp";

ManagementObject mgmt = new ManagementObject("Win32_LogicalFileSecuritySetting.path='" + strPath + "'");
    ManagementBaseObject secDesc = mgmt.InvokeMethod("GetSecurityDescriptor", null, null);
    ManagementBaseObject descriptor = secDesc.Properties["Descriptor"].Value as ManagementBaseObject;
    ManagementBaseObject owner = descriptor.Properties["Owner"].Value as ManagementBaseObject;

strOwner = owner.Properties["Name"].Value.ToString();
    strOwnerDomain = owner.Properties["Domain"].Value.ToString();
    strOwnerSID = owner.Properties["SID"].Value.ToString();
    }

As long as I am looking at a path in my computer (having admin rights) things seem to be OK: the code works, and I am told that most of everything has Administrators as owner and the domain is BUILTIN (don't know exactly what that is ...).
    However, if I change the path to some network path where I can usually list the contents of a folder, read, write, I get an error as soon as I get to the line where I invoke GetSecurityDescriptor System.Management.ManagementStatus.NotFound) and the stack trace is:

System.Management.ManagementException was unhandled
      Message="Not found "
      Source="System.Management"
      StackTrace:
           at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
           at System.Management.ManagementObject.InvokeMethod(String methodName, ManagementBaseObject inParameters, InvokeMethodOptions options)
           at fstest2.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\Projects\fstest2\fstest2\Program.cs:line 21
           at System.AppDomain._nExecuteAssembly(Assembly assembly, String[] args)
           at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly(String assemblyFile, Evidence assemblySecurity, String[] args)
           at Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.HostProc.RunUsersAssembly()
           at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
           at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
           at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
      InnerException:

I guess this happens because I miss the necessary credentials - nevertheless I am able to right click the folder in question and see the Owner (right click the folder->Properties->Security->Advanced->Owner tab (Warning saying I cannot change the owner) and click OK - the owner is shown as S-1-5-21-1672067133-645457607-925700815-7284.

What do I do wrong in the code above that prevents me to see the owner of the folder? It may not be something that has to do with credentials since I can see the owner using the OS.

Thanks,
    elsvieta

Thursday, January 8, 2009 4:16 PM