Not able to perform operation with Azure logic app to dataGateway RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

Previously I was not able to configure On-premise dataGateway and issue was related to firewall and anti virus blocking its installation.

Later I got that issue fixed, but now when I am trying to proceed further with the installation of dataGateway it is not accepting my Azure credentials through which I am connected through Azure , although when I am trying to connect with different user credentials it is accepting and installation can be done.

Note: As per my understanding DataGateway should be configured with the same user through which we are connected to Azure.

When I am providing the Azure user credentials it is showing me incorrect credentials exception , although any other user credentials are accepted . 

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks,

RG

Monday, December 3, 2018 4:16 AM

Answers

• Hold ON!!

You can completely use personal account to use the on premises data gateway. 

You need to create a tenant in the Azure AD and then configure the data gateway using this account. Once you create your tenant, then you will have an id like below

Say your personal log on id is : abc@gmail.com, you create a tenat user on Azure AD and you will get an tenant user like abcTenant@abcgmail.onmicrosoft.com, you need to use this user.

Refer below article to do so:

1) Quickstart: Add new users to Azure Active Directory  : To create a tenant user

2) Assign a user to administrator roles in Azure Active Directory : To Assign the admin role

3) Install the on-premises data gateway for Azure Logic Apps To install the On prem data gateway

You also need to ensure that, you share the subscription of your personal id with this tenant id. You can add the user in subscription as shown below.

Just add your tenant user and make the user a co owner, now you have shared the highest access level with you tenant user ( This is your own user corresponding to a Microsoft Account now :) ) 

Now go ahead and configure the data gateway using this user and  when you want to use this gateway, you need to log on to azure portal using the tenant user and voila it works !!

HTH

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Mandar Dharmadhikari

• Marked as answer by Rishi Gaur Tuesday, December 4, 2018 10:56 AM
    Tuesday, December 4, 2018 10:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Are you able to login with same credintials on Azure Portal(Refer Link#1) from any browsers page ? If it is working then probably the issue might be with Visual Studio Cache or place from where you are connecting to.

Link#1 https://portal.azure.com/

HTH

Hope this Helps!!!! Regards, Note: Please Mark As Answered if you satisfy with Reply.

Monday, December 3, 2018 5:51 AM
  • Hi Vikas,

Thanks for the reply.

Please review my response:-

[Ques]: Are you able to login with same credentials on Azure Portal ?

Yes, I am able to access the Azure portal with the same credentials .

[Ques]: If it is working then probably the issue might be with Visual Studio Cache or place from where you are connecting to?

I have tried accessing it though my local machine on different browsers . Also I have tried it on my local DEV server also but unfortunately landed with same issue as it says "Incorrect credentials".

Thanks,

Monday, December 3, 2018 6:06 AM
  • According to the prerequisites in this doc, you can only sign in using a work or school account.

You could try adding a new user with Contributor permissions in Azure AD and try using that account instead.

Monday, December 3, 2018 6:36 AM
  • Hi Rishi,

1) Is the data gateway installed on the same machine as the SSMS exists?

2) Have you tried Authentation method Windows instead of Basic ? (Please give the screenshot of Manage Gateway page with error message)

Also check the microsoft troubleshooting guide for On-Premise Gateway configuration(Refer Link#1)

Link#1 https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem-tshoot

HTH

Hope this Helps!!!! Regards, Note: Please Mark As Answered if you satisfy with Reply.

Monday, December 3, 2018 7:11 AM
  • Hi Pramod,

Whenever we are signing in to the Azure portal it asks for what kind of account to use :-

1. Work or school account 
    2. Personal account

In my case I am signing to Azure portal through Personal account as when I try to sign through Work or School account it throws me the same exception of invalid credentials which I receive while providing these credentials while configuring DataGateway.

Please let me know how to proceed further on this  so that I can create connectivity between my Azure and Datagateway.

Thanks in Advance !

RG

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 4:34 AM
  • Can you please explain the step by step and the accounts that you are using and the errors that you are facing?

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 5:39 AM
  • Hi Mandar,

Thanks for the reply !

I am new to Azure Logic apps. As a part of my learning  I am creating  POC's to get hands on Logic apps.

I am logging to portal.Azure through my account [Personal Account], and I am able to create and execute basic logic apps . But now I want to perform some other operations like polling data etc.

For that On premise data gateway connectivity is required. But for DataGateway configuration as a prerequisite the login account should be either Work or School account but the account which I am using is personal account.

Can you please help me how to get this fixed.
    I am not sure whether we need to add account into Azure directory if yes then please suggest how to proceed with it .

Thanks, 

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 6:15 AM
  • Hi,

Personal account will not work with On-Prem DataGateway and it must be associated with Partner MSDN Subscription, once you have valid Partner Subscription you can map your personal account (i.e. @hotmail.com) to your work account and access it with Azure AD.

This way you can access the personal account for On-Prem Data Gateway.

Hope it make your understanding clear.

HTH

• Marked as answer by Rishi Gaur Tuesday, December 4, 2018 10:06 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Rishi Gaur Tuesday, December 4, 2018 10:57 AM
    Tuesday, December 4, 2018 9:55 AM
  • Hold ON!!

You can completely use personal account to use the on premises data gateway. 

You need to create a tenant in the Azure AD and then configure the data gateway using this account. Once you create your tenant, then you will have an id like below

Say your personal log on id is : abc@gmail.com, you create a tenat user on Azure AD and you will get an tenant user like abcTenant@abcgmail.onmicrosoft.com, you need to use this user.

Refer below article to do so:

1) Quickstart: Add new users to Azure Active Directory  : To create a tenant user

2) Assign a user to administrator roles in Azure Active Directory : To Assign the admin role

3) Install the on-premises data gateway for Azure Logic Apps To install the On prem data gateway

You also need to ensure that, you share the subscription of your personal id with this tenant id. You can add the user in subscription as shown below.

Just add your tenant user and make the user a co owner, now you have shared the highest access level with you tenant user ( This is your own user corresponding to a Microsoft Account now :) ) 

Now go ahead and configure the data gateway using this user and  when you want to use this gateway, you need to log on to azure portal using the tenant user and voila it works !!

HTH

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Mandar Dharmadhikari

• Marked as answer by Rishi Gaur Tuesday, December 4, 2018 10:56 AM
    Tuesday, December 4, 2018 10:45 AM
  • Thanks alot Mandar

This was what I was looking for 
    I will try this now.

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 10:50 AM