none
Device discovery in Win 7 and 8 - Bluetooth and Wifi RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to learn about how Windows discovers and maintains connections with printers.

For instance, if I have both a Bluetooth and Wifi printer nearby, Windows will list them together in the same list as available printers when the user requests the printers list.  Is Windows scanning for available devices with both radios (wifi and bluetooth) together upon user request?

I'm trying to determine if there is a method for performing a concurrent scan across all available system radios for connectable devices rather than doing each scan separately. The process for discovery appears to be the same for both Win 7 and Win 8, are there any differences behind the scenes?

I haven't had much luck with my search so far, any information would be very helpful, thanks!

Edit: Apologies if this isn't the best place to post my question, any advice on a more suitable forum would be appreciated. thanks
    • Edited by jhooper321 Monday, June 9, 2014 4:32 PM
    Monday, June 9, 2014 4:27 PM

Answers

• the unification happens at the UI layer, not at the individual discovery layer. There is no API for concurrent scanning

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, June 9, 2014 6:56 PM