none
getDataAsync returns error when startRow >= 32768 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to retrieve the data for a binding that is over 33,000 rows long in Excel using the JavaScript API for Office.  I am aware of the limitation on the size of data that can be returned by a call to getDataAsync and so I request data in chunks.  When I request any chunk with a startRow >= 32768 I get an error returned 

code: 1003
    message: The specified rowCount or columnCount values are invalid.

name: Data Read Error

const options = {
        columnCount: 1,
        startRow: 32768,
        startColumn: 0,
        rowCount: 10,
        valueFormat: Office.ValueFormat.Formatted
    };
    binding.getDataAsync(options, handleData);

Platform: Microsoft Excel for Mac Version 15.38 (170902)

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 4:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Papadiablo,

first I want to inform you that, I am not available with Mac. so I can't produce the issue on Mac.

can you inform us that are you able to access the values if you pass any value less then 32768?

also try to check that your workbook contains the data on rows from where you want to start to access data.

let us know about the result. it can help us to find the issue.

Reference:

Binding.getDataAsync method

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 2:46 AM
  • Hi Deepak.

if the startRow is less than 32768 then I can retrieve data successfully.  There is data on all of the rows that I am trying to retrieve.

Cheers,

Alan

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 1:54 PM
  • Hi Papadiablo,

I can see that you can able to access the value less then 32768.

so here, it is looks like range issue.

are you using any variable to store this value?

like in C# int16 has range of –32,768 to 32,767.

you can notice that you can also not able to access value after 32768.

but here, I am confuse because you are using JavaScript Api. in which we not need to mentioned the type of variable to create a variable.

so here, I am not sure about the cause of the issue and whether it is related with MAC in anyway.

it is also possible that it is limitation of Office JS Api and you can only access this much values using api.

I will try to find further information and let you inform if I get any useful information.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 2, 2017 3:12 AM
  • Hi Papadiablo,

What is the status of this issue?

I made a test with your code under Excel 2016 in Windows 10, it works correctly.

To check whether it is specific to Mac issue, I suggest you make a test with your add in under Excel 2016 in Windows 10 and Excel Online.

If this issue still exists, it would be helpful if you could share us your excel file and add in project.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 7:33 AM