Confused about what will x86 tablet support

General discussion

• I've been at build and got one of the fantastic tablets but now I hear around that the desktop piece won't make it on tablets and they will only have metro. Does this **only apply to ARM based** ones or **also to x86** like the Samsung we got? In other words, if I have an x86 based tabled (and I don't care how much more it costs) will I be able to use it for both desktop and Metro apps like we do now or BOTH x86 and ARM will be limited to just metro? It's totally understantandable that ARM won't get it all, but if x86 will have the same limitations it would be a total killer IMO...

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:32 PM

All replies

• x86 based devices will support the full operating system, just like always.

ARM-based devices will only support metro apps.

Shawn Keene
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:44 AM
  • This topic has been confusing but it seems that ARM based devices may support the desktop:

Microsoft: Desktop apps will run on Windows 8 on ARM

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-desktop-apps-will-run-on-windows-8-on-arm/10756

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:54 AM
  • Well I stand corrected.  I've read so many "this is the final answer" stories (on both sides of the issue) lately that even I'm confused and skeptical now -- but that story was posted very recently and has good sources, so I concede!

Thanks Rob.

Shawn Keene
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:58 AM