none
Master page applied does not match what is on the ChangeMasterPage.aspx page RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working on a program that will update all the master pages for a given list of site collections with a banner at the top. I started off by querying each site and logging what master page each site uses. Then I am creating a custom master page for each type used. For example, for seattle.master, I create a customSeattle.master which is identical except for the banner at the top. I found a couple of sites using a master page "mwsdefaultv15.master". I'm guessing this is the master page for the Meeting Workspace site template.

The issue I am having is that when I navigate to these sites and look at the master page settings on the "/_layouts/15/ChangeSiteMasterPage.aspx" page, it shows seattle as the applied master page. Also in the drop down for master pages, mwsdefaultv15.master is not listed. If I navigate to the "/_catalogs/masterpage" directory,  "mwsdefaultv15.master" is not there.

So what is going on here? If that mwsdefaultv15.master file doesn't exist, why isn't the site throwing an error. If it does exist, where is it? Do I need to update this master page, or can I update seattle.master if I want to add that banner?

Thanks

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 9:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The mwsdefaultv15.master file in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\15\TEMPLATE\GLOBAL".

Check the new master pages introduced in SharePoint 2013 below:

https://rajaseg.wordpress.com/2013/06/21/new-master-pages-introduced-in-sharepoint-2013/

Best Regards,

Dennis

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Mike Kubala Friday, December 23, 2016 8:59 PM
    Thursday, December 22, 2016 2:04 AM
  • Thanks for the location of master page. I figured out today what was going kind of by accident. If you create a new master page and enter it through the GUI and then approve the master file like you normally would do, then that master page will show up in the drop down list for you to select and apply. If you use code to point the site to a different master page that hasn't been upload in the above way, it will still apply but won't show up in the drop down list.
    • Marked as answer by Mike Kubala Friday, December 23, 2016 9:00 PM
    Friday, December 23, 2016 8:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The mwsdefaultv15.master file in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\15\TEMPLATE\GLOBAL".

Check the new master pages introduced in SharePoint 2013 below:

https://rajaseg.wordpress.com/2013/06/21/new-master-pages-introduced-in-sharepoint-2013/

Best Regards,

Dennis

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Mike Kubala Friday, December 23, 2016 8:59 PM
    Thursday, December 22, 2016 2:04 AM
  • Thanks for the location of master page. I figured out today what was going kind of by accident. If you create a new master page and enter it through the GUI and then approve the master file like you normally would do, then that master page will show up in the drop down list for you to select and apply. If you use code to point the site to a different master page that hasn't been upload in the above way, it will still apply but won't show up in the drop down list.
    • Marked as answer by Mike Kubala Friday, December 23, 2016 9:00 PM
    Friday, December 23, 2016 8:59 PM