Coming From Dreamweaver: VS 2010 or Expression Web 4? RRS feed

• Question

• Some Background:  I have a company site that I developed in DW CS4 using PHP/MySQL.   We have an internal, custom program that I am making with Visual Basic and SQL Server R2.  Between the 2 database technologies, I much prefer Sql to MySql.  In an effort to consolidate databases, I want to move my site from php / mysql database to aspx and sql server.

My question is should I use Visual Studio or Expression Web?  I am currently using visual studio for the internal program the company uses and know that it can do websites as well.  Is Expression Web the base version for VS or vice versa?

I want to make the site standards compliant obviously.  CSS, HTML, all that good stuff.  What is the best tool for the job in everyone's opinion?

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 4:58 PM

Answers

• Use Visual Studio for the converstion since it would be best to use master pages. Expression Web is a front-end IDE with only limited asp.net & php support inside it. Unlike Dreamweaver it does support ASP.NET Master pages so you can work with the presentation layer in EW.
    MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    • Proposed as answer by paladyn Wednesday, December 8, 2010 6:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lori DirksModerator Tuesday, March 1, 2011 6:39 PM
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 5:03 PM
  • You don't have to use both, if you don't want to.  Later versions of VS also have CSS/HTML tools very similar to EW.  Of course, it's a pretty crowded workspace/tool for just doing CSS/HTML, and EW is inexpensive, so you may prefer to work with EW for that.  A matter of choice.
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 6:35 PM

All replies

• Use Visual Studio for the converstion since it would be best to use master pages. Expression Web is a front-end IDE with only limited asp.net & php support inside it. Unlike Dreamweaver it does support ASP.NET Master pages so you can work with the presentation layer in EW.
    MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    • Proposed as answer by paladyn Wednesday, December 8, 2010 6:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lori DirksModerator Tuesday, March 1, 2011 6:39 PM
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 5:03 PM
  • So it sounds like a need a combination of both?  EW for css / html layout of my site, and VS to do the server side coding?

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 6:16 PM
  • You don't have to use both, if you don't want to.  Later versions of VS also have CSS/HTML tools very similar to EW.  Of course, it's a pretty crowded workspace/tool for just doing CSS/HTML, and EW is inexpensive, so you may prefer to work with EW for that.  A matter of choice.
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 6:35 PM
  • So it sounds like a need a combination of both?  EW for css / html layout of my site, and VS to do the server side coding?

You can use Visual Studio for both but I find design/front-end easier to do in Expression Web.
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 7:17 PM
  • Add to that: VWD Express is entirely FREE!  You dont even need Expression although there are a few things it is easier to do with Expression. But for database work, definitely VWD or Studio for working with code behind.

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Expression Web database tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with FP, Access, Bots and Wizards
    MyNumbersTracker.com -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET.
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 7:53 PM