VB application not working on all platforms RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Recently I developed a vb application using Visual Studio 2013 express. It is working perfectly on my laptop ( windows 7 home premium 32 bit, 32 bit processor). But same application is not working on my colleagues laptop (Windows 7 home basic 32 bit, 32 bit processor). Same application is working windows xp 32 bit, but it is very slow. 

I have project settings as follows:

.net framework: 4.0

Target CPU: Any CPU (tried with x86. but application crashes)

Configuration: Release

• Edited by Siddhu8990 Wednesday, May 7, 2014 4:40 AM
    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 4:40 AM

Answers

• Hi,

My issue resolved for now. 

Real issue was with Bluetooth drivers on these laptops. I am using serial port class and looping through all available ports to find my device. When Bluetooth is on these laptops, my software doesnot work. But when bluetooth is shutoff then it works fine.

Thanks for your reply.

Siddhesh 

Monday, May 12, 2014 6:39 AM

All replies

• Windows 7 can be installed as either 32 bit or 64 bit which may have something to do with the issue.  There could be other issues such as a different version of Net being installed on the PC that isn't working.  What libraries/methods are you using? Did you install the application by publishing the app and then using setup.exe?  Applications will not run on other computers unless the same version of Net is on the computer or you use install which copies the libraries that the program uses to the install computer.

jdweng

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 6:25 AM
  • Hi Joel,

Thanks for your reply.

I am using .exe generated by VS2013 to make a setup file using NSIS. 

On all laptops, on which I checked this application, latest .net framework is installed (4.5). On my laptop also there is .net 4.5 only. So I don't think it's issue with .net framework.

On laptops having Win 7 home basic, my application is not working, while it's working on all other variants of Win 7. It is also working on Win 8 , Win 8.1.

Few days back, I had another vb application which was working on all laptops including Win 7 home basic. Differences between that application and my new application are:

1. Old one was using .net 3.5 while new one uses .net 4.0

2. Old one was single form application while new one uses multiple forms.

3. I was not using splash screen in old one but using in new one.

I tried new application with .net 3.5 and no splashscreen (to make it as same as old one) , but this is also not working. Now only difference between them is no. of forms they use.

What's difference between Win 7 Home basic and other Win 7 variants which is causing this problem and what can be done to avoid this?

Regards,

Siddhesh

Thursday, May 8, 2014 3:40 AM
  • I don't know all the differences between windows versions.  When I bought my Win 8 machine last year I asked the salesman what the differences were between Win 8 and Win 8 Professional and he said that Win 8 Professional allowed configuring the computer on a corporate network.

Did you check to see if the Win 7 machines were 32 bit or 64 bit?  Also Win 7 applications had both 32 bit and 64 bit installations.  Your Win 7 machine may have both Net 3.5 and Net 4.5 and you are really using Net 4.5.  Check installed software to see which versions of Net are installed.

jdweng

Thursday, May 8, 2014 5:58 AM
  • Hi,

My issue resolved for now. 

Real issue was with Bluetooth drivers on these laptops. I am using serial port class and looping through all available ports to find my device. When Bluetooth is on these laptops, my software doesnot work. But when bluetooth is shutoff then it works fine.

Thanks for your reply.

Siddhesh 

Monday, May 12, 2014 6:39 AM
  • I don't think you are really looping through all serial ports.  When Bluetooth is turned on my serial ports are created and the serial port number of the interface is changing.  Check in device manager the serial port numbers with Bluetooth turned on and off to see the differences.

jdweng

Monday, May 12, 2014 6:56 AM