Problems reinstalling VS 2010 RC after uninstalling VS 2010 release. RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded Visual Studio 2010 RC a months back and have been using it ever since.   I'm using the Entity Framework on top of Oracle DB so I was forced to use a 3rd party Entity Model provider since Microsoft does not provide one for Oracle.

Yesterday I upgraded to the Visual Studio Release.   Today I realized that my 3rd party entity provider was only compatible with the VS 2010 RC and that they are not releasing the new version for at least a week.

I then uninstalled VS 2010 release and attempted to reinstall VS 2010 RC.   On the screen where I choose to accept the license terms, I choose the accept option and click 'Next'.  I get an error pop-up stating:
    "You have entered an invalid product key for this product.  The '25' character product key may be found on the media case or obtained onlined at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=123687."

I have two problems, first there is a bug in the installer because there is nowhere on the form to enter a key.  Secondly, I do not have a key for the RC.   When I originally installed the RC I copied the key from the websitespark website.  However RC was replaced with the release keys two days ago.

I contacted support this morning and received a link to download the RC again.   However I'm suspicious I am going to encounter the same problem with no key and no place to enter one. 

I really need a working copy of Visual studio 2010 RC for the next week in order to continue moving forward with my project.

My environment is as follows:

Windows XP 2002 SP3. 

Any assistance would be appreciated. 

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 5:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Cloomis3,

Based on your description, I would suspect that your Visual Studio 2010 RTM has not been completely removed from your machine.

Could you please help me to try MsiInv tool to check whether VS2010 RTM has been successfully removed?
    http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/07/01/using-msiinv-to-gather-information-about-what-is-installed-on-a-computer.aspx

If it is not removed, you can try Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to clear it.
    For more information, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

If it is removed, please try the link to download and install VS2010 RC again.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Thursday, April 15, 2010 12:38 PM typo
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, April 23, 2010 2:29 AM
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:47 AM
  • The downgrade of Visual Studio to pre-release version is not a supported scenario.  Moving back to previous pre-release versions would result in mismatched component versions, where some components are on the OS level (e.g. .NET Framework) and can't be completely rolled back to previous version.  Licensing block is one of the mechanisms preventing getting into such unsupported environment.

You can transfer your project to another non-production machine where you haven't installed RTM version of Visual Studio, or use Virtual Machine environment where you can install Visual Studio 2010 RC.

Thank you,

Tim.

• Proposed as answer by Kashtan Thursday, April 22, 2010 12:43 AM
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 12:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Cloomis3,

Based on your description, I would suspect that your Visual Studio 2010 RTM has not been completely removed from your machine.

Could you please help me to try MsiInv tool to check whether VS2010 RTM has been successfully removed?
    http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/07/01/using-msiinv-to-gather-information-about-what-is-installed-on-a-computer.aspx

If it is not removed, you can try Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to clear it.
    For more information, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

If it is removed, please try the link to download and install VS2010 RC again.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Thursday, April 15, 2010 12:38 PM typo
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:47 AM
  • Hi

I have the same problem.

I tried the solution you suggested, but still getting the same problem.

Neither Windows Clean up tool nor MsiInv shows VS 2010 on the list

I've been down without any work done for two days now,  help please

Thursday, April 15, 2010 2:09 PM
  • Hi

I have the same problem.

I tried the solution you suggested, but still getting the same problem.

Neither Windows Clean up tool nor MsiInv shows VS 2010 on the list

I've been down without any work done for two days now,  help please

Thursday, April 15, 2010 2:09 PM
  • Hi Seeklezo,

Thank you for your post.

Could you please open a new thread in this forum so that we can focus on your concern? Our engineers will help you to investigate the root cause of your concern.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Friday, April 16, 2010 2:53 AM
  • I had the same issues. Check the following, the last post int he URL , helped me:

http://forums.silverlight.net/forums/p/175462/396164.aspx

Friday, April 16, 2010 7:03 PM
  • Hi Cloomis3,

Does the above suggestion work?

If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Monday, April 19, 2010 8:39 AM
  • The downgrade of Visual Studio to pre-release version is not a supported scenario.  Moving back to previous pre-release versions would result in mismatched component versions, where some components are on the OS level (e.g. .NET Framework) and can't be completely rolled back to previous version.  Licensing block is one of the mechanisms preventing getting into such unsupported environment.

You can transfer your project to another non-production machine where you haven't installed RTM version of Visual Studio, or use Virtual Machine environment where you can install Visual Studio 2010 RC.

Thank you,

Tim.

• Proposed as answer by Kashtan Thursday, April 22, 2010 12:43 AM
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 12:40 AM
  • Hi Cloomis3,

I've marked Tim's and my reply as answer. If you have any concern, you can unmark our replies and let us know.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Friday, April 23, 2010 2:28 AM
  • Hello Community:

I'm having the same problem. I installed the VS2010 Premium RC1 and now i'm trying to test the Profesional RC version but i can not even install it. This is very disappointing.

greetings,

neoglez

Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:06 AM
  • I solved the problem by using the web installer, after the first installation SQL Server was giving troubles but then i repaired the VS installation (rerun the web installer) and everything went OK. I hope this help,

Greetings,

neoglez.

Friday, July 2, 2010 12:46 PM