Graphics Debugging: Can't capture a frame with VS2012 RC.

Question

• Hi guys,

Trying to capture a frame always fails with:

The graphics diagnostics engine couldn't provide the results, most likely because the vsglog is making DirectX calls not supported on this machine.

This all worked very well on the same machine with Consumer Preview / VS2011 Ultimate Beta, now i have Win8 Release Preview / VS2012 Ultimate Beta, and i get this error message. I also tried restarting visual studio as proposed in the VS2012 RC Readme.htm. 

Still no win. 

Hunches, anyone ?

Kind regs,

Roman Pfneudl CEO - vertex4 entertainment ltd.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 10:37 AM

Answers

• Hello Roman,

Does this occur all the time or is it reproduced intermittently. What video HW are you using? What driver version are you using? It is likely that this issue is due to the driver no responding to calls in a timely fashion. You can capture the graphics debugging log and save it for post mortem review rather than live debugging. This should allow you to get the debug information that you are looking for and get around this error that you are seeing.

I hope this helps,

James

Windows Media SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 6:20 PM

All replies

• Hello Roman,

Does this occur all the time or is it reproduced intermittently. What video HW are you using? What driver version are you using? It is likely that this issue is due to the driver no responding to calls in a timely fashion. You can capture the graphics debugging log and save it for post mortem review rather than live debugging. This should allow you to get the debug information that you are looking for and get around this error that you are seeing.

I hope this helps,

James

Windows Media SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 6:20 PM
  • Hi James, 

Yay - indeed this helps - i love u. 
    Yes, the vslog-file indeed exists as temporary file already and can be opened post-mortem. And now even the Graphics Pipeline Stages work as opposed to VS2011.

Great - thank you.

Roman Pfneudl CEO - vertex4 entertainment ltd.

• Marked as answer by v4corg Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:51 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by v4corg Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:51 PM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:51 PM