none
Upgrading MCSD(Microsoft Certified Solution Developer) RRS feed

• Question

• Hey.
    I want to upgrade my certification and do not know if is possible and what tests i need to do for it.
    I have reviewed the forum but all the information is not updated.

Please tell me that there is a way

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 10:18 AM

Answers

All replies

• Upgrade paths from MCAD or MCSD to MCPD on Visual Studio 2005 (or any other VS version) are no longer available. All exams for these upgrade paths are retired. For information about the paths that were previously available, see the Certification Planner Tool on the MCP Member site, or contact your Regional Service Center.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcpd.aspx#tab3

This means that you can no longer upgrade from MCSD, you will need to start from scratch and do all the exams required to gain a MCPD certification.  More information on MCPD certifications cans be found at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcpd.aspx#tab2

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 10:47 AM
  • Thank you.

Please confirm me that for MCPD i dont need to have any previous certification. 
    To obtain the MCPD in web development I need to do just these four tests:

70-515
    70-513
    70-516
    70-519

Is this true or I need something more?

Thanks in advance

• Edited by vicentt Tuesday, July 24, 2012 11:06 AM
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 11:05 AM
  • If you want MCPD Web Developer 4.0 then yes.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 11:07 AM
  • Please be aware that all four of those exam will no longer be offered after July 31st, 2013. You have about a year if you want to pass all four exams.

**Alternately, you may want to just wait for the VS 2012/.NET 4.5 exams to become available, which will be offered in August, Sptember, and October of this year.

Either way, good luck to you!

New .NET 4.5 developer exams:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcsd-windows-metro-style-apps.aspx

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Thursday, July 26, 2012 5:36 PM
    Answerer
  • One thing to note about the .Net 4.5 exams scheduled for release so far is that they relate to Metro Style development.  Metro Style applications can only run on Windows 8 (currently) and you can only do Metro Style development on a Windows 8 machine (you can't even install the Metro tools on Windows 7).  There will be additional .Net 4.5 exams released however there is limited information on what these exams may be and when they'll be rleleased.  Given this, I would recommend that you still do 70-515, 70-513, 70-516 and 70-519 and then look at doing upgrade exams to .Net 4.5.

12 months is sufficient time to finish these exams however you'd need to start studying for them now.

Jeff Wharton

Friday, July 27, 2012 12:10 AM
  • Hi!

I disagree with recommending aspiring web developers to take the .NET 4.0 exams.

Microsoft has completely changed the Windows platforms for desktop and servers to use the new Metro-style applications in Windows 8 and Server 2012. Windows hasn't undergone a change this significant since the release of Windows 95.

Why recommend spending a small fortune (at least $600 US, if each exam is passed on the first try) on .NET 4.0 for Server 2008 and Windows 7 when the new, completely revamped OS's and the .NET 4.5 framework will be RTM'd in a few weeks? You still have to take the new .NET 4.5 exams anyway. Grit your teeth and embrace the new technologies now!

The new Metro-style applications can be created using the latest technology standards from the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) - HTML5, CSS3, and JavaScript. But that also go for ASP.NET forms and ASP.NET MVC web development. Visual Studio 2012 offers incredible, new tools for today's web developers for these latest standards including much better IntelliSense for all three languages and much more.

If the OP is looking for a new web programming job using .NET in a year, they'd be best to learn the latest Web technologies along with IIS 8 rather than the old .NET 4 apps with IIS 7.5. At least he or she's new certifications would be more relevant in the field for longer than a year.

I am quite impressed that Microsoft is offering a HTML5, CSS3, and JavaScript exam. When I teach my HTML5/CSS3 class, I tell my students from all backgrounds (ASP.NET, PHP, JSP, etc.) about this Microsoft certification.

I believe newcomers might as well skip the .NET 4.0 exams at this point because they will be deemed less important than the .NET 4.5 exams in 2013. Besides, who wants to buy all those exam attempts (.NET 4.0 and .NET 4.5) at $150 each?

Remember, Microsoft is requiring all MCSDs to recertify every two years and all MCSEs to recertify every three years. If they don't, they will lose their titles, even after spending all that time and money on passing those exams.

These are just my opinions, however...

Best wishes and good luck to all!

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Friday, July 27, 2012 9:12 PM
    Answerer
  • I wouldn't call $600 a "small fortune". Besides, it's going to cost at least half that to upgrade to Windows 8 and a lot more than that to buy Visual Studio 2012 just to be able to start studying (and no, the free versions of VS 2012 won’t be sufficient to study for the exams).

So is it better to get certified in Metro Style applications and hope that everyone buys Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 the day it’s released so that you can put your new skills to use or is it better to get certified in 4.0 and be able to put your skills to use from day one and then upgrade to 4.5 once people have upgraded to Windows 8 and/or Windows Server 2012 and MAYBE start implementing Metro Style applications?  A proficient developer can easily get a MCPD certification in 12 months and then upgrade to 4.5 in the next 6-12 months.  This will give them a broader range of .Net skills than just having 4.5 thus making them more employable.

Jeff Wharton

Sunday, July 29, 2012 8:34 AM