none
Visual Studio Community 2015 C++ Doesn't Debug Properly

Question

• Hello Microsoft Community! 

I'm new so blegh :/

I recently downloaded visual studio community 2015 update 1 with c++ development tools. However when I debug even the easiest of programs (ex. std::cout<<"hello world";), visual studio freezes and a loading circle appears. Nothing else happens - no debug window, no nothing. I checked task manager and it didn't say that visual studio wasn't responding. I have to end task or the visual studio will stay loading forever. Any help?

Thanks,

FezWho

Monday, December 21, 2015 4:47 PM

Answers

• Hi FezWho,

Please create an other language application to check whether this problem occurs with all projects.

Then please check the ActiveLog.xml under the path of %AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0. This file will log all operations when you operate Visual Studio.

In addition, please try with following steps to troubleshoot this problem.

1. Run Visual Studio as administrator.
    2. Run Visual Studio in safe mode with "Deven.exe /SafeMode" to prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.
    3. Close all third part software when running Visual Studio, such as antivirus.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 7:10 AM

All replies

• just to make it clear, I code in C++. I haven't tried other languages. C++ doesn't debug properly.
    Monday, December 21, 2015 4:48 PM
  • Hi FezWho,

Please create an other language application to check whether this problem occurs with all projects.

Then please check the ActiveLog.xml under the path of %AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0. This file will log all operations when you operate Visual Studio.

In addition, please try with following steps to troubleshoot this problem.

1. Run Visual Studio as administrator.
    2. Run Visual Studio in safe mode with "Deven.exe /SafeMode" to prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.
    3. Close all third part software when running Visual Studio, such as antivirus.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 7:10 AM