How to manage future updates for my asp.net mvc web application, if i have deploy it as a web deployment package RRS feed

• Question

• User-540818677 posted

I am working on an asp.net mvc web application. I have prepared a web deployment package from my staging environment as a zip file, then I publish this web deployment package inside IIS on production server and it worked well.

But currently I need to modify a Controller class to fix a bug on production. But I am not sure how I can publish this specific controller file to my production server .I test the fix on staging and now  i need to deploy this controller class to my production server, do i need to re-create the whole web deployment package ?. can anyone advice?

Thanks

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 5:51 AM

Answers

• User-821857111 posted

You will need to republish your app. 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 8:06 AM
  • User-821857111 posted

A controller is just one class in the resulting assembly (.dll) that gets created when you build your application. It cannot stand alone unless you create it as a separate project (which would require more work).

I usually publish my apps locally to the file system and FTP the bit that changed to the server. In your case, that would be just the dll file that gets generated in the bin folder.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:34 PM

All replies

• User-821857111 posted

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 8:06 AM
  • User-540818677 posted

you mean to republish the whole application ? if yes , then is there a way to publish the single controller .cs file?

Thanks

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 8:24 AM
  • User-821857111 posted

A controller is just one class in the resulting assembly (.dll) that gets created when you build your application. It cannot stand alone unless you create it as a separate project (which would require more work).

I usually publish my apps locally to the file system and FTP the bit that changed to the server. In your case, that would be just the dll file that gets generated in the bin folder.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:34 PM