none
Excel Addin wont show up on Office 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Have tried a lot to load the excel addin (XLAM file - VBA) in vain. 

Followed some of the recommendations but still didnt help

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_winother/add-ins-tab-not-showing-in-ribbon-in-excel-2016/70858ed7-8379-47eb-abdf-ee42fa070ef4

Also I couldnt see the Unblock option on the file. Still I ran the Powershell command 

Unblock-file -Path <<filepath>> but it didn't help

I have a wrapper file (XLAM) which inturn calls the XLA file. What I noted in the code behind is while calling the  Workbooks.Open Filename, I couldnt observe the all the XLA modules completely whereas in 2010, I can see them loading properly and the addin button shows up

TBC, the addins is installed and I can run the methods I wanted but it doesnt show up in the Ribbon. 

This had no issues in loading on 2010 but unsure if any security stuffs is blocking it. Any help is highly appreciated.  Almost 4 days crossed without any solution :(

Saturday, July 15, 2017 2:54 AM

Answers

• Finally!!!

Disabling the below in Registry shows the addin.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\office\16.0\common\toolbars\excel]

"noextensibilitycustomizationfromdocument"=dword:00000000

Thanks Andreas for the help and I hope this post helps others who are breaking their heads for troubsleshooting similar issues

• Marked as answer by Dev-Narryz Thursday, July 27, 2017 5:03 PM
    Thursday, July 27, 2017 5:02 PM

All replies

• TBC, the addins is installed and I can run the methods I wanted but it doesnt show up in the Ribbon. 

This had no issues in loading on 2010 but unsure if any security stuffs is blocking it.

Seems there is an issue within the XML or maybe other files in the customUI directory.

Shows us the addin.

Andreas.

Saturday, July 15, 2017 8:42 AM
  • Hi,

This is the forum to discuss questions and feedback for Microsoft Excel features, I'll move your question to the MSDN forum for Excel

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=exceldev

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
    Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 17, 2017 9:56 AM
  • Hello,

Please follow How to: Show Add-in User Interface Errors to check if there is any UI error for your add-in since you have customized the UI.

Besides, please share your Office version and the file here if possible. We could test if the issue could be reproduced on our test machines. You could upload the file into OneDrive and share the link here. Please visit Share OneDrive files and folders

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017 2:51 AM
  • Thanks Andreas. Unfortunately I'm unable to share the addin code level details here due to the policies.  I have to open a ticket with Microsoft if this isnt going anywhere. Many thanks to all for your help

QQ: Should the CustomUI Ribbon reference be upgraded ? Sorry if this is a stupid Question

Currently its been referenced to  

h t t p : / / schemas. microsoft. com / office / 2006 / 01 /customui

If yes, Is there a Microsoft tool that I can use to edit the xml file which is embedded in the .xla ? I see some of the open sources online but unsure if I can use them

Friday, July 21, 2017 1:03 PM
  • h t t p : / / schemas. microsoft. com / office / 2006 / 01 /customui

That is for Excel 2007 only, but the above versions should also load that ribbons. So the answer to your question is no.

But I use also xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2009/07/customui" and a customUI14.xml file in my addins, to have a better ribbon design.

Download this sample, from a developer for developers.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/eow60utqq4nf1gr/AK.zip?dl=1

For the CustumUI editor have a look here
    https://www.rondebruin.nl/win/s2/win001.htm

Andreas.

Friday, July 21, 2017 1:25 PM
  • Thanks Andreas. This really helps in narrowing down the issue

Here's what I tried next.

I tried creating a addin with customUI on my home PC and shows up on the ribbon and the same when I tried on my office PC (Windows 10), it didnt show up

Do you think any security settings might be blocking the addin to show up on the ribbon ?

Thursday, July 27, 2017 3:08 PM
  • Do you think any security settings might be blocking the addin to show up on the ribbon ?

You can answer that by yourself if you try my AddIn on both PC. Copy the files into your personal directory, that is usually a save, resp. trusted location.

If my AddIn doesn't show a ribbon it's an security issue, otherwise it's an issue anywhere in your AddIn.
    IMHO sounds logical!?

Andreas.

Thursday, July 27, 2017 3:22 PM
  • Your addin - It does shows up on my home PC and not in Office PC. It is added to the trusted locations. But dont know which Security settings - Registry/Group Policy/Others might be screwing this in Win 10 
    Thursday, July 27, 2017 3:27 PM
  • Check File\Options\Trust Center\

Trusted Locations
    Add-Ins
    Macro Settings
    maybe File Block Settings

Maybe your personal directory is not a trusted location. If you need further help, make a screenshot of each window and post it here.

Andreas.

Thursday, July 27, 2017 3:38 PM
  • Finally!!!

Disabling the below in Registry shows the addin.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\office\16.0\common\toolbars\excel]

"noextensibilitycustomizationfromdocument"=dword:00000000

Thanks Andreas for the help and I hope this post helps others who are breaking their heads for troubsleshooting similar issues

• Marked as answer by Dev-Narryz Thursday, July 27, 2017 5:03 PM
    Thursday, July 27, 2017 5:02 PM