none
Problems with expression web 4 "publish feature! RRS feed

• Question

• I can load a page to my web site and all is well except that images that set in the page were missing, other components such as tables, text etc are all there. I am using the "publish current page". I have also tried using separate FTP program but the same happens. I have been using Front Page for many years without this sort problem, however I changed to Expression web 4  when host removed the Front Page facility [ without any warning!!!! ]

All help will be appreciated.

Robert

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 2:50 AM

All replies

• You have to publish the images, too. Publishing the page does just that: the page. Anything that is referenced by the page but is external to the page - images, external CSS files, etc. - also needs to be published.
    Tuesday, February 10, 2015 3:15 AM
  • Right, we've had a jillion people report the same thing here in this forum for years--no warning from your hosts. But MS warned you 10 years ago when they announced they were pulling support for FPSEs and dropping FrontPage itself (because they relied on technologies that the new Web standards did not support). The last OS that supported FPSEs was Windows Server 2008 R2.

We can't tell exactly what you problem is. You need to post a link to the site so that we can see the code. It's all explained in detail in the Forum FAQ. There are numerous reason why you can't see images, but until we can see the site and the code, we're on a wild goose chase. Post a link.

And if you have the same problem with a separate FTP program, the cause isn't Expression Web.

A horse walks into a bar. The bartender asks "Why the long face?" "Because I was born into servitude and when I die my hooves will be used to make glue." It was at this point that the bartender realized he would not be getting a tip.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 3:20 AM
  • Hi Robert

publish your images seperately and let us all know how you went

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 9:20 PM
  • Hi all,

It was suggested that I load the images to my sever separate to the page, I already had done this by loading all of such items used within a document , I have done this by loading a exact replica to the server, using a separate ftp program, but this made no difference, it is a great omission that there was so little to help one to load up the data etc to the server, where there is some scant instruction the various instructions make it difficult by using different  words to the name of the the data form filling part, I have not had much trouble in using expression web 4 . It is a pity that the experts whom write these manuals for the user of their brilliant products assume that everyone is as familial with the product as they are. I am still hoping to get the key information to correct whatever I am doing incorrectly.

Robert 1000

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 6:34 AM
  • Post a link to the site! You're still asking us to play guessing games. If you want help, you have to help us. We're volunteering our time; don't make it difficult.

A horse walks into a bar. The bartender asks "Why the long face?"
    "Because I was born into servitude and when I die my hooves will be used to make glue."
    It was at this point that the bartender realized he would not be getting a tip.

• Edited by Bill Pearson Wednesday, February 11, 2015 1:32 PM
    Wednesday, February 11, 2015 1:27 PM
  • If you uploaded all the required files to where they belong, your page would work.

If you want us to tell you what you did wrong, you have to post a link to the page that does not work, and tell us what you expect to see that you do not.

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 3:45 PM
  •  Hi all,

Thank your for your help, the URL for the site and the page is "www.weather-west.net/our_weather-west.html"

I will look forward to any suggestions which  help me sort this problem out.

Robert

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 7:26 PM
  • When images are not found, you have not published them, or you have not published them to the correct location.

http://www.weather-west.net/images/Banner3-green.JPG  does not exist.

http://www.weather-west.net/AllWeathericons/Sun%20with%20clouds.gif  does not exist.  And so on. (Note the %20 in that image name.  That means you have spaces in the name.  That's not a good practice for the web.  It's not why you don't see it, it's just another piece of feedback.)

On the other hand, http://www.weather-west.net/Banner3-green.JPG  does exist.  This means you did not publish the images into the correct location.   [If your FTP connection in EW is properly pointing to your website's root directory, EW would automatically put them in the correct location unless you explicitly dragged them into the wrong location.]

• Edited by KathyW2 Wednesday, February 11, 2015 8:14 PM
    • Proposed as answer by KathyW2 Thursday, February 12, 2015 1:14 AM
    Wednesday, February 11, 2015 8:12 PM
  • Also note, besides the admonition to never use spaces in file, folder, or page names, is this:

Clouds.jpg, Clouds.JPG, clouds.jpg, and CLOUDS.JPG are 4 different files on a Linux/Unix server. But they are the same file on a Windows server. *nix servers are case sensitive, Windows is not. Be very careful, and decide on a standard for capitalization within your site. I see .gif and .JPG, so you should set a standard for capitalization and stick with it, even if you're on a Windows server right now. 

A horse walks into a bar. The bartender asks "Why the long face?" "Because I was born into servitude and when I die my hooves will be used to make glue." It was at this point that the bartender realized he would not be getting a tip.

Thursday, February 12, 2015 2:08 AM