Cannot join a Windows 2000 domain with Windows Developer Preview

Question

• I cannot join the school's domain here with developer preview. I'm a network admin and have done this dozens of times in windows 7. Under computer properties>change settings> computer name tab> I've used both the network ID wizard and just the change option under it. Both instances give me an error of unknown username or bad password. I have tried multiple user accounts as well as multiple admin accounts for the domain. I am not typing anything incorrect. I logged on to different pcs on the network just to make sure it wasn't a DC problem. I'm not sure if this is an error anyone else is getting or the feature just isn't available/compatible yet since this is just a preview. The DC is on a windows 2000 server.
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:52 PM

All replies

• There are conflicting stories here, but they are probably not running a DC on a no-longer-supported Windows 2000.

Oh, I am amazed that you still have a Windows 2000 server up and running, I hope you have plan to migrate to a modern server or ordered enough replacement parts. 

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:11 PM
  • Can you ping the school's domain controller by name and IP address? Does it return a successful ping?
    Do you have the DNS server correct IP address listed in your computer?

If you look at the c:\windows\debug\netsetup.log it may help to give a clue as to what is failing.
    Look to see if any errors when trying to join domain.

Please post the results.

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:57 PM