Create a folder on a removable storage device.

Question

• Hey guys I have looked around quite a bit (unsuccessfully) and I am trying to create a folder on a removable storage device.  In my case it is an microSD card on a tablet.  Is this possible?

If creating a folder on a removable storage device is not an option, my other thought was creating the folder on internal storage and moving to external storage.  Is this an option?

All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Friday, May 16, 2014 7:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

WinRT provides access to files and folder located at the removable devices such as USB sticks and external hard drives using RemovableDevices folder.

To be able to access this folder you need to specify Removable Storage capability in the app’s manifest. Additionally, File Type Association must be declared for the each file type that will be accessed by the app.
    StorageFolder folder = Windows.Storage.KnownFolders.RemovableDevices;
    And you also can move floder to removable devices.  Copy a file to a removable storage device by instantiating a storage object using Windows.Devices.Portable.Storage.FromId. You can refer to the link to get more information:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465218.aspx

Best Wishes!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey. Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by Wglinki Monday, May 19, 2014 8:57 PM
    Monday, May 19, 2014 1:49 AM