setup Orchard with ms sql 2008 server RRS feed

• Question

• I run into some problem when i try to setup/install Orchard with MS SQL server 2008, the user friendly user message that is presented is not detailed ("Setup failed: The transaction has aborted.") enough to know whats going wrong.

If I try to setup Orchard with "built-in data storage (SQL Lite)" it works like a charm, but with "an existing SQL Server (or SQL Express) database" it will not setup correct.

If i look at the ms sql database i can se tables been created, so the connection seems to work,
    this is what i put in into the textbox as connection string "Data Source=localhost;Initial Catalog=orchard;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=orchard;Password=orchard"

inner exception thrown is:
    could not update: [Orchard.Core.Common.Records.BodyRecord#3][SQL: UPDATE Common_BodyRecord SET Text = ?, Format = ?, ContentItemRecord_id = ? WHERE Id = ?]

Has anyone else run into this problem before, I'm glad for all suggestion and hints.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 6:15 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the feedback.  We have a work item this iteration to make the error message more friendly.

Louis recently mentioned he fixed the field length problem with SQL Server.  Looks like he talked about it in this thread.

Can you try it again and see if it works?
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 5:12 AM

All replies

• Thanks for the feedback.  We have a work item this iteration to make the error message more friendly.

Louis recently mentioned he fixed the field length problem with SQL Server.  Looks like he talked about it in this thread.

Can you try it again and see if it works?
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 5:12 AM
  • Thanks, now it worked without problems. Maybe I had a changeset before Louis fixed the SQL Server fiedl length problem....

What i though about and had to give a couple of tries was how the format of the connections string should be formatted. Maybe a little more user friendly hint with a example of how a connectionstring should be formatted to work should be displayed under the connectionstring textbox. I would appriciate if it was there when i tried several times to write the connections string in different formats.

Even if you have worked alot with asp.net development and have edit the connectionstring in web.config many times you may have som problems to remember how it should be formatted.

I can make a workitem of this issue and contribute with some simple code sample for setup page, would it be in your guys interest to have help with this?
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 6:37 PM
  • Sure!
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 7:16 PM