none
Protocol between Adapter Pack and SAP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Which protocol is used to establish communication between SAP and Biztalk 2006 R2 with Adapter Pack 1.0?

Can HTTPS be used?

I have a Biztalk Server (2006 R2 with Adapter Pack 1.0) in a network which is intended to establish communication with several SAP servers that are on client networks.

Thanks

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 10:55 AM

Answers

All replies

• The SAP Adapter is hosted within the BizTalk Process. From within the BTS process, the adapter communicates with the SAP server through the SAP SDK.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 12:10 PM
  • And is it possible to establish this communication over the internet (using https)?

I ask this because all the documentation I've read assumes that both SAP and BizTalk servers are in the same network and for that reason can communicate without using internet. I haven't found any documentation regarding the communication being established between differetn networks.

Establishing vpn would be an option, but not all the clients are willing to do it...

Thanks

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 12:56 PM
  • SAP adapter communicates with SAP server using custom rfcClient. If your BizTalk server and SAP server are not in the same trusted network then that communication will likely fail. In that scenario a better option would be host the proxy generated from SAP adapter as a service in the same network as the SAP server and communicate with BizTalk using WCF adapter and HTTPS.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 1:39 PM
  • Thanks for the quick answer.

One more question: Using your suggestion will cause to install SAP adapter in all the clients and for that pay the 5k SAP Adapter license for each client, correct?

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 2:38 PM
  • I'm not 100% sure on the details regarding the 5K cost being per processor, or per machine - but in either case, installing the adapter on multiple machines would multiply your cost by that much amount.

If there is a single machine which can access all your SAP servers, then you can of course install the adapter only on that machine, and then host multiple HTTP/HTTPS services, with each hosted service communicating with just one SAP server on the backend.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 2:44 PM
  • Here is a pointer to the BizTalk Adapter pack pricing and licensing info:

http://www.microsoft.com/biztalk/en/us/adapter-pack-pricing.aspx

Monday, June 23, 2008 4:54 AM