Metro App certification rule and the use of Metro extension SDK

Question

• Hi,

I read the "http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh694083.aspx" , regarding Metro app certification.  The rule specified that "

3.1 Your app must use only APIs for Metro style apps

The APIs for Metro style apps are described in the Metro style apps API reference. Your app must also not link to, depend on, or otherwise make use of APIs or Windows OS services outside those described in the Metro style apps API reference. ...."

How is this rule applied to the Metro Extension SDK?  How does the Metro Extension SDK component get certified?  Can I create a Metro Extension SDK component, develop app that call the Metro Extension SDK component and pass the app certification? 

Thanks,

Coder

Monday, February 13, 2012 9:04 PM

Answers

• Hi Coder,

The Extension SDK is deployed as part of your app. The entire app package (including the extension SDK) is certified as a unit.

--Rob

Monday, February 13, 2012 11:21 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi Coder,

The Extension SDK is deployed as part of your app. The entire app package (including the extension SDK) is certified as a unit.

--Rob

Monday, February 13, 2012 11:21 PM
    Owner
  •  Hi Rob,

The Extension SDK documentation mentioned that there are 2 flavors of the extension SDK component - stand-alone and bundle.  

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh441589(v=vs.110).aspx

Stand-alone component - When the app referenced the extension SDK is run; the extension SDK is downloaded from the app store.  This means this extension SDK will need to be certified separately. 

My question is about the rule of calling only Microsoft's "Metro style apps API reference" and not any other APIs.  

If I develop a software component and deploy it as an extension SDK for apps; the rule basically says it cannot be used because it is not Metro APIs.  Is that a correct interpretation?  Also, what if my extension SDK component calls static libraries that used APIs not part ot the Metro APIs; will the Metro Application Certified kit reject my extension SDK component because of the rule?.

Thanks,  

Coder

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 12:03 AM
  • Hi Coder,

The Extension SDK rules apply as you suspected. All components regardless of how they are referenced must not use APIs outside of the Metro style apps API reference

Is there some API in particular your needing that is not in the list?

Thanks,

-David

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:55 PM
  • Regarding Extension/Platform SDKs excuse me if I jump in here. How can we deploy such SDK with our own app? Is it enough to reference the SDK in the apps project file? 

And I understand correctly, that once our app is installed other 3rd party developers could reference it and use it?

And if somebody does download their app that uses our SDK, the app store would download our SDK automatically so that their app can run?

Thursday, March 08, 2012 11:11 AM
  • A 3rd party framework package will not be downloadable as a separate package from the store. The recommended process for distribution and consumption of Extension SDKs is underway. Please stay tuned for more details in this area.

David Lamb

Friday, March 09, 2012 12:39 AM
  • Any news on this David?
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 12:36 PM