none
Windows SubSystem For Linux RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am having a problem with WSL on my computer. I had the bright idea to reinstall WSL because I wanted to get the latest version of it.

Now when I try to start Bash up it starts and stops immediately. How can I remedy this?

I have the latest version of Windows 10 (in terms of service packs). Please let me know if you have any questions

Thanks

Sarath

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 11:11 PM

Answers

• Hello,

It works fine on Windows 10 Enterprise 1809, refer to Windows Subsystem for Linux Installation Guide for Windows 10.

1. Install the Windows Subsystem for Linux
        Open PowerShell as Administrator and run: Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux
       Choose Y to restart my machine.
    2. Download and install Ubuntu from the Windows Store. 
    3. click Ubuntu like this and it doesn't start and stop immediately:

Best Wishes,

Jack Zhang

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by SarathB Tuesday, May 7, 2019 11:32 AM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2019 9:46 AM
  • Thanks this has worked
    • Marked as answer by SarathB Thursday, August 1, 2019 6:24 AM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2019 11:33 AM

All replies

• Do you have the actual package behind the bash "front end" installed? Now there are several such packages (Ubuntu, Suse...) installable from the Store.

Open the normal (not bash) command prompt and type:  wsl --list

-- pa

Friday, March 29, 2019 2:11 AM
  • Hello,

It works fine on Windows 10 Enterprise 1809, refer to Windows Subsystem for Linux Installation Guide for Windows 10.

1. Install the Windows Subsystem for Linux
        Open PowerShell as Administrator and run: Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux
       Choose Y to restart my machine.
    2. Download and install Ubuntu from the Windows Store. 
    3. click Ubuntu like this and it doesn't start and stop immediately:

Best Wishes,

Jack Zhang

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by SarathB Tuesday, May 7, 2019 11:32 AM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2019 9:46 AM
  • Thanks this has worked
    • Marked as answer by SarathB Thursday, August 1, 2019 6:24 AM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2019 11:33 AM
  • Thanks a lot for your help Jack
    Thursday, August 1, 2019 6:24 AM