Troubleshooting issues opening Excel spreadsheets RRS feed

• Question

• Platform: SP 2010 service pack 2. Office 2010, windows 7 on user laptop , IE 9 32 bit browser.

several users started calling recently about problems opening Excel spreadsheets. They are on different SharePoint sites on the same site collection.

No changes/patches have been made to SharePoint.

No changes to the site collection features of configuration of which I am aware.

The site collection is configured that users clicking on a doc library item opens in the application associated with the file type.

When I, as a farm admin (which I need to do due to permissions), and I click on the Excel documents on person 1's troubled site, they open in Excel as expected.

When the person reporting the problem clicks on the Excel spreadsheets, he gets one of two behaviors.

On the first paginated page (documents 1-31) , if he clicks on an Excel document, two instances of the Excel application opens.

On page 3 (documents 61-90) when he clicks on an Excel document, the excel data appears within the web page itself with a button at the top that says "Open in Excel". When he clicks that, he gets an error box that states

To open this workbook, your computer must have a version of Microsoft Excel installed and your web browser must support opening files directly from Excel in the browser.

This of course is interesting since on the first page, clicking on one of the documents uses the version of Excel installed and opens the file directly.

None of these behavior, of course, can I duplicate.

And, just to add another confusing item to the list, if this person goes to a different doc library and everything works fine.

So this does not seem to be related to add-ons (why would add-ons act differently between sites?).

The sites that I have examined all have the same advanced setting regarding opening the document in the client app rather than the browser.

I have not yet started the process of having a repair on Office 2010 be broken in a way that on different pages different behaviors occur?

Monday, July 14, 2014 4:44 PM

Answers

• Well, after the admins performed the repair on Office 2010, the user was able to click on Excel workbooks and have them open as expected.
    • Marked as answer by star.wars Thursday, July 24, 2014 2:56 PM
    Tuesday, July 15, 2014 4:54 PM