none
Automatic archiving feature RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to enable pst automatic archiving feature in Outlook 2010, so that periodically (say each year), emails are archived to a new pst archive.

I know how to enable automatic archiving, but would like to archive to a separate pst file each time, not reuse the same archive pst file.

Is there a way to achieve this? maybe using an add-in?

Thank you for support

Gabriele

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 10:12 AM

Answers

• The Outlook Object Model doesn't have anything you can directly use to configure AutoArchive settings.  However, these settings are stored on a per-folder basis as a hidden IPC.MS.Outlook.AgingProperties message:

Sub GetAutoArchiveSettings()
        Dim objSI As Outlook.StorageItem
        Dim objFolder As Outlook.Folder

Set objFolder = ActiveExplorer.CurrentFolder
        Set objSI = objFolder.GetStorage("IPC.MS.Outlook.AgingProperties", olIdentifyByMessageClass)
    End Sub
    You can use OutlookSpy to inspect this message and see how all of the settings are stored in the MAPI properties for the message.  These aren't documented AFAIK, but if you set the AutoArchive settings manually and inspect the changes to the settings you can construct them diligently in code to suit your purposes.

Eric Legault
    MVP (Outlook)
    About me...
    Time-saving Outlook Appins
    for as low as $5!

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 2:15 PM

All replies

• The Outlook Object Model doesn't have anything you can directly use to configure AutoArchive settings.  However, these settings are stored on a per-folder basis as a hidden IPC.MS.Outlook.AgingProperties message:

Sub GetAutoArchiveSettings()
        Dim objSI As Outlook.StorageItem
        Dim objFolder As Outlook.Folder

Set objFolder = ActiveExplorer.CurrentFolder
        Set objSI = objFolder.GetStorage("IPC.MS.Outlook.AgingProperties", olIdentifyByMessageClass)
    End Sub
    You can use OutlookSpy to inspect this message and see how all of the settings are stored in the MAPI properties for the message.  These aren't documented AFAIK, but if you set the AutoArchive settings manually and inspect the changes to the settings you can construct them diligently in code to suit your purposes.

Eric Legault
    MVP (Outlook)
    About me...
    Time-saving Outlook Appins
    for as low as $5!

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 2:15 PM
  • Thank you for the suggestions.

However this is too complex for me, so I guess I'm going to live without it.

In the end, I think that this would be a very useful feature, expecially (when you have to manage several clients), and it should have been built into Outlook, or at least some add-ins.

Gabriele

Friday, June 22, 2012 10:33 AM