Logical setup for MOSS setup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I need to setup a test Sharepoint environment - I am trying to sell Sharepoint technology to my organisation.

I am going to set this on on a couple of PCs:

I can't put it on my actual domain - Just incase if anything goes wrong
    I want to set-up MySites, Intranet, Extranet, Departmental team sites

Should I:
    Create a new domain and set up a 1-way trust or:
    some sort of perimeter network type setup

I have ISA server and I can seperate the networks using VLANS.

Any thought appriciated.
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, October 6, 2009 3:26 AM MySite so MOSS only not WSS 3.0
    Monday, October 5, 2009 5:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• Not sure what you are trying to accomplish.

If it is some kind of test, better not use the real user accounts.
    When using mysites , keep in mind that AD will be updated with the personal url of users.
    Furthermore, you can't change my sites afterwards, only delete.

My advice; if it's only a test case set it up in a server and use local accounts.
    This way users can test anything they like.

hope this gives you an idea.

Kind regards,

Eric van Glabbeek

Willing to learn everything about Sharepoint there is to learn. My blog : sharepoint.vanglabbeek.nl
    Monday, October 5, 2009 9:19 PM
  • Get your network team to set up a DMZ or vLAN of some kind thats acceptable to them, accessible from the primary network, you will need a trust to the primary DC to use the DC accounts or your users will need seperate accounts in the vLAN/DMZ hosting your MOSS test farm.

Regards

John Timney
    Monday, October 5, 2009 10:48 PM
  • Since you need to setup SharePoint test environment for POC purpose, i suggest you to Install on VPC and demo your management team. If they like your idea then you can setup full system otherwise you may need to spend many time to with your Network and System people.

To Setup VPC please goto my article at http://faizal-comeacross.blogspot.com/2008/11/setup-and-install-sharepoint-2007.html

K.Mohamed Faizal, Solution Architect, Singapore
    http://faizal-comeacross.blogspot.com/
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 3:04 AM
  • Thanks for the replies.

Not all users will be testing this - just a handful, I really want them to get how Sharepoint would actually work, so I do not want them to login; I want it to be seamless.

They already know vaguely what sharepoint is but, getting it on their desktops will push it over.

I'm going to explore the DMZ option.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 10:21 AM