none
Deploying new version for Project Server Workflow in existing production environment RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone

In our production environment we have deployed custom workflow for managing project lifecycle some time ago (let say a year). In this time a lot of projects were created with this workflow. Now we have to deploy new version of this workflow with minor changes. What are the options here?

We managed to deploy new version of workflow (in development environment) by restarting workflow for all existing projects in Settings page Change or restart workflow. But is this really the only way. Can you deploy new version of workflow for only new projects (so that existing projects would run with the old version of workflow).

The problem is this that it is breaking change in managing projects when workflow must be restarted for all projects! What are our options here?

Monday, December 12, 2011 10:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Avion,

You need to change the version number, guid in the assemblyinfo.cs (or) in the project properties.

Once you change and deploy the workflow, your existing workflow instance will remain there and existing projects works without any problem.

Mark the post as an answer if it helps.

Ravishankar Polepalli (MCP)
    Microsoft Dynamics, Project Server and SharePoint Server Consultant
    ravi.polepalli@gmail.com
    Monday, December 12, 2011 2:34 PM
  • Hi avion!

Normally when I re-deploy a workflow (new version or some changes), if the stage guids have not change, I have no problems with old projects.

The problem is coming when I try to add aditional stages, but if we only try to add some custom code, or validation into the workflow, you can re-deploy the workflow and the old project will not know anything about the new version ;)

Cheers!

Miguel Soler
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 8:19 AM
  • Hi avion!

Normally when I re-deploy a workflow (new version or some changes), if the stage guids have not change, I have no problems with old projects.

The problem is coming when I try to add aditional stages, but if we only try to add some custom code, or validation into the workflow, you can re-deploy the workflow and the old project will not know anything about the new version ;)

Cheers!

Miguel Soler

I agree with that - the key here is to implement the "Skip to Stage" functionality in your workflow, so that when you restart all the workflows for your EPT, you can skip them all to stage they were at before.  This can still be a little problematic, as approval tasks currently waiting will be recreated and emails resent - but in most cases the client is okay with that.

J.

James Boman - http://www.boman.biz Software Consultant for IPMO - http://www.ipmo.com.au
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 1:54 AM