none
Problem with EDI and basic party resolution RRS feed

• Question

• Please help ! I cannot get Party Resolution to work for my BizTalk 2006 R2 EDI solution.

The solution accepts EDI X12 docs from a bunch of external parties, runs them through an orchestration and returns the response as another EDI X12 doc. I'm using the File based adapter and the EdiSend and EdiReceive pipelines to parse the incoming and outgoing messages.

For the outgoing EDI messages, I want the ISA headers to match the specs provided by the external parties. So I created corrosponding Parties in BizTalk  and set their "X12 Party as Interchange Receiver" properties to match the provided specs. But on testing, I see that the ISA header of the outgoing messages do not get the correct party's EDI X12 settings. All outgoing messages default to the ISA info as provided by the EDI Global Party settings. I think that I'm missing something very basic here.

I'm relatively new to BizTalk and EDI and the limited documentation that is availabIe seems to suggest that I do not need to do anything except create a Party and set the EDI X12 properties for the Party Resolution to work. Do I need to somehow "hook" the party to the EDI application or the specific Orchestration? The orchestration simply dumps all outgoing EDI message to a file location and I'm guessing the EdiSend pipeline will automagically resolve the party and add the correct ISA headers. Am I understanding this correctly?

Since my orchestration always writes the output to the same port, I have not associated the Parties with any Send Ports. I tried associating multiple parties with the same port, but during runtime the messages gets suspended with a "More than one parties are associated with send port" error.

Thanks.
    Friday, June 6, 2008 8:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

You need to promote the name of the party you want the settings to be used from into the DestinationPartyName context property which is in the http://schemas.microsoft.com/Edi/PropertySchema namespace.  You could also promote the ISA5-8 values into DestinationPartySenderQualifier, DestinationPartySenderIdentifier, DestinationPartyReceiverQualifier, and DestinationPartyReceiverIdentifier which are in the same namespace as DestinationPartyName. 

For more info on Party Resolution check out http://mohsinkalam.wordpress.com/party-resolution/ 

HTH,

Ankit

Friday, June 6, 2008 10:56 PM
  • Ankit,

Thanks for the response and the tips. It fixed the problem. I had to promote the ISA06 field (used the MessageEnrichment SDK sample) at the start of the orchestration and then copied it over to the DestinationPartyName at the end of the orchestration.
    Monday, June 9, 2008 3:45 PM