none
Problem with 'Dataset Project' when projects are in Solution Folders RRS feed

• Question

• Has anybody been able to use the Dataset Project option to seperate the dataset from the adapters when the projects are in Solution Folders?

The drop down list of projects appears to only include the projects directly under the solution.

I think this is a fantastic idea but I also really like solution folders!

Any ideas anybody?

Regards
    Brian

p.s not sure if this is the correct forum. Please advise if not.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 4:31 AM

Answers

• Hello,

The Dataset Project property was added to allow N-Tier development with the Typed Dataset by allowing developers to put type information (dataset, datatable) into a separate assembly so that it can be shared among multiple projects.

This property is disabled in all Express SKUs because they focus on local database scenario.  N-Tier scenarios do not apply there.

By the way, which walkthrough were you looking at?  I want to make sure that you were not taken to the N-Tier related walkthrough from Express.

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 10:22 PM

All replies

• Brian,

I have just moved your question to the right forum. Hopefully you will get an answer soon.

-diego

Friday, April 11, 2008 3:12 PM
  • Brian,

I'm not familiar with the "DataSet Project" that you refer to.  Did you mean "Database Project"?  Can you tell me where you are seeing this type of project?

Friday, April 11, 2008 8:35 PM
  •  

Hi Carl,

In VS2008, when you create a DataSet you can seperate the dataset code from the data adapter code by specifying a DataSet Project. You can then reference this class from the Client to get Type but without getting all the DataAdapter code.

Anyway, its this dropdown to specify the Dataset project that only includes projects from the root solution. None of the projects that are in Solution folders appear in the list.

I have gotten around the problem by dragging the project to the root, setting the DataSet project and then dragging it back. A bit clumsy but it works fine once it is set. So it look like it is just the dropdown population logic that has a problem.

Cheers

Brian

Sunday, April 13, 2008 6:17 AM
  • I'm doing the "Creating an N-Tier Data Application" Walkthrough using Visual C# 2008 Express.

According to the walkthrough, the steps to separate the tableAdapter from the Dataset are:

1. Double-click NorthwindDataSet.xsd in Solution Explorer to open the dataset in the Dataset Designer.

2. Click an empty area on the designer.

3. Locate the DataSet Project node in the Properties window.

4. In the DataSet Project list, click DataEntityTier.

5. On the Build menu, click Build Solution.

All very nice, but the DataSet Project node doesn't exist in the Properties window. Is it the case with Express Edition of Visual C#?
    Can anybody help me?

Regards

Horacio

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 3:48 PM
  • Diego,

Any response from the forum you are referring to?

Regards,
    Fosco
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 8:18 PM
  • Not sure regarding Diego but I have not had a response from either forum. I wanted to post this as a bug but i'm not sure where to do it.

Regards

Brian

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 8:49 PM
  • Has anyone come up with a solution for this problem?  I'm in a similar situation.

Thanks,
    Brian
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 1:50 AM
  • Hello,

The Dataset Project property was added to allow N-Tier development with the Typed Dataset by allowing developers to put type information (dataset, datatable) into a separate assembly so that it can be shared among multiple projects.

This property is disabled in all Express SKUs because they focus on local database scenario.  N-Tier scenarios do not apply there.

By the way, which walkthrough were you looking at?  I want to make sure that you were not taken to the N-Tier related walkthrough from Express.

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 10:22 PM
  •  I've the same problem with VS2008 SP1 Professional Edition. Workaround, described above, cause a exception after restart of VS:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

...by dragging the project to the root, setting the DataSet project and then dragging it back. A bit clumsy but it works fine once it is set. So it look like it is just the dropdown population logic that has a problem.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thursday, October 23, 2008 1:25 PM
  • I'm using Visual Studio 2005.  I'm stuck at the same place as you. 

Did you get a solution?  Thanks.

Chun

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 4:35 AM
  • I have same problem with Visual studio 2008 Team system. It is possible temporary move project to solution root, then set property and move again. BUT when you are trying to reopen dataset designer studio shows error that, project defined in property, does not exist... Ofcourse it is possible to leave project in root, but from point of view of solution structure this is bad idea.

Maybe is possible to register this as bug...
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 6:56 PM
  • Actually there is an easy way to solve the problem,
    Assume you wanna add ProjectB as DataSet project for Project A.

When you are in VS 2008 and have opened the ProjectA,  from the menu, click  "file - add - existing project" and then browse to the folder of ProjectB till you find a openable file, e.g. ProjectB.csproj, and then ok.

In ProjectA, now you will find ProjectB has already been added into your solution explorer.
    You may then click your Dataset e.g  southwind.xs d   from the solution explorer, 
    in the property window, click the "Dataset Project" dropdown lists,
    you will find ProjectA already there instead of None.
    Save all and close ProjectA, open ProjectB, you'll find the class has already been added into your ProjectB despite that they are in different solution folder.

Hope it can be helpful to all of you, thank you.

• Proposed as answer by Mt. Vesuvius Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:58 PM
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 3:35 AM