SQL Server Standard edition RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I got a new laptop with Windows 7 64 and SQL Server Standard edition installed by our Network Admin. I tried to install AdventureWorks database and I've discovered I need to run few steps manually through BI studio. However, I don't have BI studio. I was expecting that the developers will get Developers version of SQL Server.

In any case, am I now out of luck? :(( I wanted to start learning SSRS and SSAS...

I have the SQLServer2008SP1-KB968369-x64-ENU.exe file in c:\Installations folder and also .iso file. However, when I tried running exe file there was nothing to update.

Do you know what should I do now?

Thanks in advance.

Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

Naomi Nosonovsky, Sr. Programmer-Analyst

My blog
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 8:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I don't see how can I add Program Features. I asked my colleague about development version, so I'm downloading it now - it's ~4G download... It would be a headache of uninstalling and re-installing ...

Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

My blog
    Friday, May 21, 2010 1:42 AM
  • Hello Naomi,

You have 2 option to add BIDS

- Run the installer of MS SQL Server 2008, select "Add new instance installation/add features for existing instance", then select "Install shared features" and then, as MeltonDBA already wrote, select "Buiness intelligence developer studio"

- Or open "control center" => "Add/remove programs", select "Microsoft SQL Server 2008" and click on "Remove/change", the same installer will start.

The Developer Edition is a prefered Edition for developer, because the license are much cheaper the a Standard Edition; it's around 60$, so I also bought one for my private use. And it has the same (all) feature as the Enterprise Edition.

BTW, if you want to evaluate / try with SSRS you could also use the Express Edition with Advanced Services; it has also SSRS including BIDS, but not SSAS.

Olaf Helper ----------- * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum * Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich http://olafhelper.over-blog.de
    Friday, May 21, 2010 4:53 AM
  • I hope that I'll download the Developer Edition tonight. I then will need a guide to un-install and re-install. I have Express on my other machine and I played with SSRS before, but I think it's not 100% supported...

My blog
    Friday, May 21, 2010 4:58 AM
  • Here is what I suggest:

If the Standard Edition is the default instance, have it uninstalled and reinstalled as Named Instance like  COMPUTERNAME\STANDARD .

Install SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition as the default instance (COMPUTERNAME), just SELECT ALL on the page where you can pick what to install. When you do that in addition to the database engine, SSAS, SSRS and SSIS will be installed.

It is easier to work SSAS, SSRS & SSIS on the default instance.

You need to apply SQL Server 2008 SP1 immediately after install.

Kalman Toth, SQL Server & Business Intelligence Training; SQL 2008 GRAND SLAM
    Friday, May 21, 2010 7:42 AM
  • It is default instance. I got the iso image of Developer's edition - now I need to figure out what to do with it. May be I'll try first on my other PC where I have Express only.

My blog
    Friday, May 21, 2010 12:07 PM
  • If you have an ISO image you have eigther burn it on DVD or map it as drive using a tool, like:

http://techie-buzz.com/how-to/mount-iso-files-as-a-virtual-cd-dvd-drive.html
    http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/620/xp_small_free_way_to_use_and_mount_images_iso_files_without_burning_them/

Olaf Helper ----------- * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum * Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich http://olafhelper.over-blog.de
    • Marked as answer by Naomi N Friday, May 21, 2010 12:56 PM
    Friday, May 21, 2010 12:14 PM
  • It is default instance.

Since the Standard Edition (less powerful) is the Default Instance, have it uninstalled and reinstalled as Named Instance like YOURCOMPUTER\STANDARD.

Install (the powerful) Developer Edition as the Default Instance. It will make your life much much easier when it comes to SSAS, SSIS and SSRS.

Kalman Toth, SQL Server & Business Intelligence Training; SQL 2008 GRAND SLAM
    • Marked as answer by Naomi N Friday, May 21, 2010 12:56 PM
    Friday, May 21, 2010 12:23 PM
  • Hello Kalman,

I would like to ask you why you suggest to use a "Default Instance"?
    Actually I have about 10 machines with 30 SQL Server instances and none of those is a "default instance", they are all named instances. And I don't have any problems and all tools like SSMS / BIDS are working quite well.

So where do you see any problems don't having a default instance? 

Saturday, May 22, 2010 5:46 AM
  • Hi again,

Why do I need to install Developer's version as default instance? Also, if I install Developer's version as default, I would not need Standard at all, I think. I asked my questions here as well http://forum.lessthandot.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10947&p=53858#p53858

I have Developer's version on a virtual DVD. I want to know what do I have to do now - uninstall standard and install developer's or try to install developer's as named instance. I want Developer's version to be my primary version.

Please answer, as the matter is urgent - I'm practically ready to go ahead - just need a direction and also want to make sure I don't break anything in the process.

Thanks.

My blog
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 6:13 PM