Am I missing a step in Small Basic or is there more after Small Basic? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been reading forums all day on "why my program only works on my computer" but I find that either they are not referring to the same thing as I am or they're just too advanced for me to follow, so please bare with me. I created my program on a windows 7 computer about a year ago. I have downloaded Small Basic and have been editing my program on a windows xp machine, but the program works fine. I created a shortcut to the desktop, created icon image, and it works. I had added part of a song and an image (test stuff) but notice the image and sound were  gone. So, I put the file on a flash drive and moved it to three computers (two xps, windows 7) but the program would not load; "the file has to close, anything you were working on might be lost". So, I'm thinking there must have been something more that I had not learned when I was interrupted. So, if anyone can tell me what I haven't done or need to do, in plain talk, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again for all your support.
    Friday, March 21, 2014 8:38 PM

Answers

1. Small Basic requires .Net 3.5 SP1.  This MUST be present on any PC you use with a Small Basic program.
    2. You can compile a Small Basic program on any PC with SB installed, assuming [1] is true.  The result will be an *.exe created in the same folder as the *.sb source code (* is just the name of your file).  You can then run this *.exe file e.g. from explorer or with a desktop shortcut.
    3. To run the compiled program (*.exe) on another PC, you need to copy the *.exe AND SmallBasicLibary.dll (and any other extension dlls used).  The *.exe and dll(s) are found in the *.sb folder as described above on the PC used to compile the source.  The new target PC must also have .Net 3.5 SP1.  The *.exe and SmallBasicLibrary.dll copied to the new PC MUST be in the same folder, but the *.exe can then be a shortcut on the desktop.

If any above not clear please ask and say exactly what you are doing.

Friday, March 21, 2014 9:16 PM

All replies

1. Small Basic requires .Net 3.5 SP1.  This MUST be present on any PC you use with a Small Basic program.
    2. You can compile a Small Basic program on any PC with SB installed, assuming [1] is true.  The result will be an *.exe created in the same folder as the *.sb source code (* is just the name of your file).  You can then run this *.exe file e.g. from explorer or with a desktop shortcut.
    3. To run the compiled program (*.exe) on another PC, you need to copy the *.exe AND SmallBasicLibary.dll (and any other extension dlls used).  The *.exe and dll(s) are found in the *.sb folder as described above on the PC used to compile the source.  The new target PC must also have .Net 3.5 SP1.  The *.exe and SmallBasicLibrary.dll copied to the new PC MUST be in the same folder, but the *.exe can then be a shortcut on the desktop.

If any above not clear please ask and say exactly what you are doing.

Friday, March 21, 2014 9:16 PM
  • @LitDev

About Extension...

Link to your extension seems broken since last weekend. Also in /downloads some files are disappeared, like LitDevUtilities.zip, LitDev_Source.zip, LitDev_v1.0.zip, WritingExtensionGuide.zip.

Do not know if it's intentional, so I just wanna inform you.

Friday, March 21, 2014 10:31 PM
    Answerer
  • @Pappa - Thanks, looks like free hosting is deleting stuff for me - re-uploaded my local copies in downloads.  Cheers.
    Friday, March 21, 2014 10:56 PM
  • thanks guys, that explains it all. thanks for all the help.
    Thursday, April 3, 2014 2:45 AM