SharePoint Designer workflow creates to many approvers when using Assign a Form to a User or Group RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SharePoint Designer workflow using Assign a Form to a User or Group. The User or Group gets the list of approvers from column in a list containing one or more email addresses separated by a semicolon. 

When there is only one name the workflow creates the one approval needed and notifies the approver by email and all is well. If there is more than one email address present one of two things happens. Either a task is created for all the approvers listed and but keeps the first approval locked open so that the other approver(s) can't approve the task or if for example there are two approvers emails in the list then a task is created for each one and then a third task is created and not assigned to anyone.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 5:11 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

I understand when the user or group give more than one user in the form ,the workflow will create more tasks than expected .Please  provide more detailed steps about your workflow .

It seems that you are using SharePoint 2010 workflow .Because in MOSS 2007 ,there is no Approval Process action in designer workflow .Using an ‘Assign a form to a User or Group’ to collect the approvers for the approval process action .If this is the case ,then you can use a single line of text field(let’s call it field1 here ) in the Assign a form to User or Group Action to collect the approvers .Using account names instead of email address with semicolon .Then add a ‘Start approval process ’ in the  workflow to start approval workflow .Set the ‘these users ’ to lookup value from the Tasks list field1 .Set the column in the Find List Item like this : Field: Workflow Item ID .Value :Current Item: ID .

If I have any misunderstanding ,please feel free to point it out .

Thanks,

Entan Ming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttnmff@microsoft.com .

Entan Ming

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 12, 2012 5:12 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

I understand when the user or group give more than one user in the form ,the workflow will create more tasks than expected .Please  provide more detailed steps about your workflow .

It seems that you are using SharePoint 2010 workflow .Because in MOSS 2007 ,there is no Approval Process action in designer workflow .Using an ‘Assign a form to a User or Group’ to collect the approvers for the approval process action .If this is the case ,then you can use a single line of text field(let’s call it field1 here ) in the Assign a form to User or Group Action to collect the approvers .Using account names instead of email address with semicolon .Then add a ‘Start approval process ’ in the  workflow to start approval workflow .Set the ‘these users ’ to lookup value from the Tasks list field1 .Set the column in the Find List Item like this : Field: Workflow Item ID .Value :Current Item: ID .

If I have any misunderstanding ,please feel free to point it out .

Thanks,

Entan Ming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttnmff@microsoft.com .

Entan Ming

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 12, 2012 5:12 AM
  • Hi Entan,

Thanks for your help. I will give your solution a try and let you know how it comes out. This is a SharePoint Designer workflow used on MOSS 2007 site. Not my choice the clients requirement.

It will be very interesting to see how this turns out.

Guy

• Edited by teksurf Tuesday, July 17, 2012 4:10 PM
    Monday, July 16, 2012 4:11 PM