could we get guid of a device in metro system?

Question

• Hi, I wonder if we could get GUID of a device in metro system? I am looking for a way to identify a device.

Thanks in advance.

dollar zhang

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 5:22 AM

Answers

All replies

• Dollar Zhang,

Which type of device?

Best Wishes - Eric

Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:11 AM
  • A device running metro system, such as Samsung XE700T1A-H01US

Thanks Eric~

dollar zhang

Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:45 AM
  • Dollar Zhang,

You would like information as in the link below?  From a Windows 8 desktop app or Metro style app?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739558(v=WS.10).aspx

Best Wishes - Eric

Thursday, June 28, 2012 3:51 AM
  • Hi Eric, I am looking for how to get GUID (unique identify a device) for a metro style app~

The link seems applies To: Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows Server 2003 with SP1, Windows Server 2003 with SP2 which are not I needed.

dollar zhang

Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:51 AM
  • Dollar Zhang,

This is not possible.  What are you trying to accomplish?

Best Wishes - Eric

Monday, July 16, 2012 8:22 AM
  • In my case, I would like to have device GUID, so that I can uniquely associate on my web service a push notification channel URI to a device.  If the channel URI changes on subsequent launches of my app, I only need to store one in the database of my web service.  Therefore, when a tile update needs to occur for a user, it pushes out the notification only once per device that the user has my app installed on.

At this point, I am planning instead to generate a GUID in the app and store it locally to be the "device ID" for that device.  I suppose though, it isn't truly a device ID, but more an "install ID".  If my app is installed on the same device by more than one user, I do need a unique ID for each one.

Friday, April 04, 2014 6:33 PM