none
System.ApplicationException 0x8007007A unhandled RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I managed to create a VB.net application, that even under the debugger suddenly shows this exception
    System.ApplicationException was unhandled
    Message: The data area passed to a system call is too small. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007A)

Just that there is no stack info and I have no idea which system call is meant, as the app is already running for a while. Is there any info available what this funny message really means?

Or at least, what does it take to make the exception 'handled', I can't add a try...catch around every piece of code ...

Regards
    Eberhard
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 10:17 AM

Answers

• We can't help you with this until you post the call stack.  You'll need to have the symbol server enabled so you get debugging symbols for the Windows binaries.  To trap the exception, use Debug + Exceptions, check the Thrown boxes.

Hans Passant.
    • Marked as answer by eryang Friday, October 30, 2009 10:10 AM
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 3:49 PM

All replies

• We can't help you with this until you post the call stack.  You'll need to have the symbol server enabled so you get debugging symbols for the Windows binaries.  To trap the exception, use Debug + Exceptions, check the Thrown boxes.

Hans Passant.
    • Marked as answer by eryang Friday, October 30, 2009 10:10 AM
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 3:49 PM
  • Hi,

I'd really like to show the stack, but as written there is no call stack visible! This is exactly the problem, if I would see the call stack I would not need to ask. I get the semi transparent dialog box (that cannot be screen captured), telling me about the exception, which allows me 'ok' 'and 'continue'. After 'ok' Visual Studio is in debugging mode but the Call Stack window is empty.
    And next single step crashes the Studio, fantastic...

And just to let you know, I know about exceptions and how to deal with them, that's why this one drives me crazy: I handle 'all' other exceptions, so it took me now weeks to find out that this one kills the app bypassing (?) the try catch blocks in the code

So, what else can I do?

Sunday, October 25, 2009 5:55 PM
  • I gave you a very specific hint on how to trap the exception early before the exception assistant steps in.  I recommend you try it.

Hans Passant.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 6:31 PM