Could I know which kind of location info I am getting from?

Question

• Hi, I am developing metro style apps using c# + xaml. Now I hope to get location info of current device. Below is the code snippet I am using:

Geolocator geo = new Geolocator();
                    geo.DesiredAccuracy = PositionAccuracy.High;
                    Geoposition pos = await geo.GetGeopositionAsync();

Then I could get location info. No problem. But I am wondering which kind of location info I got. From GPS module? AGPS module? or Wifi/IP address? I know we could guess it from accuracy but I hope to get the clear response from the API which kind of location info I am getting.

Could anyone help? Thanks in advance. 

dollar zhang

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:00 AM

Answers

• The specific source of location information is not surfaced through the Geolocation API.  Assuming the accuracy of the position response from the platform met your scenario needs, how would your app behave differently if the source of the position info was available? 

Thanks for your post and I look forward to your reply.

Dino Natucci

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 4:28 PM

All replies

• The specific source of location information is not surfaced through the Geolocation API.  Assuming the accuracy of the position response from the platform met your scenario needs, how would your app behave differently if the source of the position info was available? 

Thanks for your post and I look forward to your reply.

Dino Natucci

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 4:28 PM
  • Thanks Dino. We found sometimes the location info we got is not so accurate when we are using Wifi and IP address to get location. The accuracy may become as big as 100 km. So we hope to give user some hit when we found the accuracy becomes too big. At first, we decide to show the hint when we found the location is generated by Wifi and IP address but found no API to get the location source. So we plan to use accuracy instead. When we found accuracy is too big, we will show hit to user. 

dollar zhang

Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:36 AM