none
Custom formatting (coloring) view for recurring appointment instance doesn't work RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm working on an add-in for outlook 2013, that stores some user defined properties for each instance of a regular or recurring appointment. These properties are different from one instance to another.

To identify them I established a view with automatic formatting. I checks a certain integer field and changes the color of the appointment.

Trouble is that automatic formatting doesn't work on recurring appointments. Regular appointments work.

I ran tests with automatic formatting (through views) also for the case of a regular appointment which doesn't use any kind of code. The result is the same.

Everything looks like Outlook will look only at the first level of appointments. Regular appointments are in the first level, but recurring appointment instances are children of the recurring appointment, and they are at level two as we go down the hierarchy of outlook objects.

Is there a way to make the automatic formatting work also for recurring appointment instances?

Thank you in advance.

Monday, April 7, 2014 6:58 PM

Answers

• I did, and at the support engineer told me that the conditional formatting doesn't have an effect on individual occurrences of a recurring appointment. All coloring is done at the "root" level of the recurring appointment.

It seems to me that this feature was dropped starting with Outlook 2013 or even Outlook 2010 (I don't know). In Outlook 2007 it coloring is done based on values in the occurrences of the recurring appointment.

Thank you for your help.

• Marked as answer by psaaabbb Thursday, April 10, 2014 5:28 PM
    • Edited by psaaabbb Thursday, April 10, 2014 5:29 PM Wrong Outlook version
    Thursday, April 10, 2014 5:28 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Did you try to debug the code? What code do you use for setting the automatic formatting in Outlook?

Most probably you don't get recurring items in the code and handle only non-recurrent appointments. Is this the case?

Monday, April 7, 2014 7:22 PM
  • Thank you for the reply,

Yes, I debugged the code. Actually is rather simple, it's just one user property that should influence the formatting.

gameAppointment.UserProperties["GameStatus"].Value = GameStatus.Started;

gameAppointment is an instance of a recurring appointment, or a regular appointment.

In order to assign colors to appointments, I'm using views, with automatic formatting created through the regular user interface of Outlook 2013.

For the automatic formatting part there is no code involved.

In the tests I've checked if this property it really gets set. And it does. So whatever user properties are set up (GameStatus) included, they are set up at the instance level. And for the application itself this is how it should be. Few information apart for the recurrence pattern itself should be stored in the root, recurrent appointment. Actually the application itself works the way it should. The automatic formatting feature (OL2013) doesn't behave as expected.

The application itself was implemented time ago for Outlook 2007. With Outlook 2007 this automatic formatting of recurring appointment instances worked.

Truth is, that I have a feeling that is not the code (also this is a code-related forum) which has issues, but is more like a limitation (bug?) from Outlook part.

This because I implemented some tests using the regular interface from Outlook without any user defined fields. The behavior was the same.

Actually the manual tests, without code were:

1. Create test calendar.

2. Setup recurring appointment in it. Set the Location property to [Test Location]

3. Create view for the calendar.

4. Setup automatic formatting for the view, based on the Location field of the appointment.

4.1. When the Location field is [Office] make the color Yellow.

4.2. When the Location field is [Metro] make the color Red.

5. Open an instance of the recurring appointment and change the Location to [Office] or [Metro]. The formatting doesn't work.

6. Create two regular appointments, and put the Location for [Test Location] and for the other [Metro] or [Office]. The formatting is working in this case.

I tried this also on another test computer, and the behavior was the same.

• Edited by psaaabbb Monday, April 7, 2014 8:15 PM Add informations
    Monday, April 7, 2014 7:52 PM
  • I'd suggest opening a support case. You will not be charged if a bug belongs to MS products. Try using the Submeet Feedback form.
    Tuesday, April 8, 2014 3:10 PM
  • I did, and at the support engineer told me that the conditional formatting doesn't have an effect on individual occurrences of a recurring appointment. All coloring is done at the "root" level of the recurring appointment.

It seems to me that this feature was dropped starting with Outlook 2013 or even Outlook 2010 (I don't know). In Outlook 2007 it coloring is done based on values in the occurrences of the recurring appointment.

Thank you for your help.

• Marked as answer by psaaabbb Thursday, April 10, 2014 5:28 PM
    • Edited by psaaabbb Thursday, April 10, 2014 5:29 PM Wrong Outlook version
    Thursday, April 10, 2014 5:28 PM