MSTest not loading Visual Studio 2010 tests RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to execute test cases using MSTest from the vsmdi file along with testsettings file (both created using VS2010 Ultimate). I am getting the following issue while MSTest is loading the testsettings file.

"TestTypes\{982b8c01-1a8a-48f5-b98a-67ee64bc8687} is not properly formatted. TestType cannot be loaded from this key for the following reason(s): TestType: {982b8c01-1a8a-48f5-b98a-67ee64bc8687}: An improper extension was defined for this TestType (".GenericTest"). All TestTypes must have a non-null extension that begins with '.'. This TestType will not be loaded."

Parameters I have passed to MSTest is as below. 

MSTest.exe /nologo /testmetadata:<vsmdi file> /testlist:<testlist name> /runconfig:<testsettings file>

I am able to execute the test methods from VS2010 Ultimate using vsmdi file. Did any body have been in the same situation before? What may be causing the above exception?

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 8:51 PM

Answers

• search through your registry for the guid listed above or just for "GenericTest".  Rename the key from .GenericTest to .generictest (case matters.)  YMMV

Friday, June 25, 2010 5:52 PM