Issue with "use unicode utf-8 for worldwide language support" and our software" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

After the Windows 10 1803 update, one of our customers had the "BETA: use unicode utf-8 for worldwide language support" feature automatically activate on her computer and it caused issues with our software. Everything worked well once we turned it off and rebooted the computer, but I was wondering, if once out of BETA, will this feature remain an option (meaning that you can turn it off) or if it will be part of Windows 10? If you do not work for Microsoft, please provide a source with your answer.

Thank you

• Edited by ygravel001 Thursday, June 28, 2018 5:53 PM
    Thursday, June 28, 2018 5:52 PM

All replies

• I don't work for Microsoft but I was just asking about this setting yesterday due to an issue I was trying to fix in PortAudio.

I don't know what sort of issues this caused with your software, but hopefully this will help.

The suggestion I got was to use GetACP() to check for 65001 (UTF-8) and act accordingly. So, what I did was to fix places where Portaudio used WideCharToMultiByte to read something similar to this:

WideCharToMultiByte((GetACP() == 65001) ? CP_UTF8 : CP_ACP, 0, value.pwszVal, (int)wcslen(value.pwszVal), (char *)deviceInfo->name, MAX_STR_LEN - 1, 0, 0);

And now I am getting text rendered correctly with or without that setting on.

Thursday, June 28, 2018 6:06 PM
  • Thank you, but I don't understand the solution you gave me. What is this string and where did you add it?
    Thursday, June 28, 2018 6:41 PM
  • bump
    Friday, June 29, 2018 11:17 AM