Databse shrink status RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have started the databse shrink using GUI, It's keep on running since 1 hour. The DB size is 53GB. ANy idea how much time it will going to take to complete this.

I am checking the mdf file size .It is same still as it was before.

Thanks

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:49 AM

Answers

All replies

• You can safety stop the process... Read Tibor's article

http://www.karaszi.com/SQLServer/info_dont_shrink.asp

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Blog: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance

• Proposed as answer by Fanny Liu Saturday, June 22, 2013 9:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fanny Liu Tuesday, June 25, 2013 10:12 AM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:02 AM
  • Hi Nikhil,

Can you post the wait type your shrink process is waiting for?  Its mostly IO related wait types like pageio_latch_XX or WriteLog if you IO subsystem is not optimal. 

Aslo can  you confirm whether your database has LOB or ROW_overflow data ? In this case, shrink will be reasonably slow.

As per Uri post, shrink is not advised as first measure to reclaim space as shirnk will have adverse effect on database. Are you running out of disk space?

• Edited by Srinivasan Ram Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:27 AM More comment added
    • Proposed as answer by Fanny Liu Saturday, June 22, 2013 9:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fanny Liu Tuesday, June 25, 2013 10:12 AM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:26 AM
  • You could check sys.dm_exec_request, which has a column named precent_complete. However, due to the nature of how shrink work, I would consider the value highly approximate. ... And please spend some time reading the article Uri linked to, which contains downsides of shrinking on the first place.

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP | web | blog

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:59 AM