none
fsshttp question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have a requirement to transform the data in fsshttp protocol, say the contents of a MS word docx/text being uploaded to sharepoint. While uploading say through skydrivepro, I understand the file gets chunked in sizes of either <= 16, 32K or 64K. 

Questions:

1. What decides if the chunk size is 16/32K? FileWriteChunkSize?

2. Can it be any other arbitrary size? Or is that a hard limit?

3.What happens if after my transformation the chunk size > 64K for a FileWriteChunkSize = 64K? Will Sharepoint reject it always? Will changing the data element size variable in header be sufficient?

4. Will splitting the bytes > 64K  into a separate data elements/ at a logical xml boundary  with a new index element pointing to it be sufficient?

Thx

/Patx

• Edited by patrick.nam Wednesday, December 18, 2013 3:46 AM
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 12:52 AM

Answers

• Hi /Patx,

Thanks for your patience.  To answer your questions:

1. and 2.:

The file chunking algorithm is described fully in [MS-FSSHTTPD] 2.4 File Chunking.  Based on this, chunk sizes are determined based on whether the file is a .ZIP file, uses RDC analysis (if it is greater than 32,768 bytes and less than 262,144,000 bytes) or uses simple chunking for larger files. 

3. and 4.:

This is going to be more complex than I can detail here on the forum but, in short, if you modify any request, you will need to maintain the consistency of the data model understood by the client.  The chunking and data handling in [MS-FSSHTTPD] is embedded within the Object Groups and Data Element structures in [MS-FSSHTTPB].  These must have consistency.  If not, then the results could be unpredictable.  There is a detailed example of the affect of chunking on a Put Changes request in [MS-FSSHTTPD] 3.1 "Put Changes Request".  This will help you understand the relationship between [MS-FSSHTTPD] and [MS-FSSHTTPB] and the affect on the data model. 

Thanks,

Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 8:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Patrick, thank you for your question. A member of the protocol documentation team will respond to you soon.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 3:54 PM
  • Hello Josh:

Thank you

I look forward to hearing from the protocol team

Thx

/Patx

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:25 PM
  • Hi Patrick,

Thank you for your question. I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon.

Regards,
    Vilmos Foltenyi - MSFT

Thursday, December 19, 2013 5:58 PM
  • Hello Vilmos:

Thank you.

I look forward to hearing from you

Thx

/Patx

Thursday, December 19, 2013 7:53 PM
  • Hi /Patx,

I'll respond soon; I appreciate your patience.

Best regards,

Tom Jebo Microsoft Open Specifications

Monday, December 30, 2013 6:36 PM
  • Hi /Patx,

Thanks for your patience.  To answer your questions:

1. and 2.:

The file chunking algorithm is described fully in [MS-FSSHTTPD] 2.4 File Chunking.  Based on this, chunk sizes are determined based on whether the file is a .ZIP file, uses RDC analysis (if it is greater than 32,768 bytes and less than 262,144,000 bytes) or uses simple chunking for larger files. 

3. and 4.:

This is going to be more complex than I can detail here on the forum but, in short, if you modify any request, you will need to maintain the consistency of the data model understood by the client.  The chunking and data handling in [MS-FSSHTTPD] is embedded within the Object Groups and Data Element structures in [MS-FSSHTTPB].  These must have consistency.  If not, then the results could be unpredictable.  There is a detailed example of the affect of chunking on a Put Changes request in [MS-FSSHTTPD] 3.1 "Put Changes Request".  This will help you understand the relationship between [MS-FSSHTTPD] and [MS-FSSHTTPB] and the affect on the data model. 

Thanks,

Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 8:48 AM