Old visual problem with Aero interface in Windows 8

General discussion

• If turn off an option “Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing” (in “Performance Options” window of Windows 8) you may see the following visual defect.

Minimize any window to the taskbar and then click on the icon of this application in the taskbar to restore its window. At this moment you can observe a quick flash of black color (or white color) on the background of the appearing window. It happens quickly (1/10 of second) but I can catch this moment. Personally I find this visual glitch very annoying. Some applications give a black flash (Windows Explorer in Win8 WPD, Google Chrome, etc.), other applications have a white flash (Internet Explorer 10 in Win8). The more large screen resolution, the more noticeable this problem.

1) Indeed it's a very old bug which exists since Windows Vista, Windows 7 and now in Windows 8.

2) And this problem occurs only with Aero Glass user interface. If you turn off desktop composition (DWM), this problem doesn't happen at all.

3) It occurs on any computer with Aero graphical interface, any edition of Windows 8, 7 and Vista. I tested this problem on dozens of computes with same result.

This is the only one reason why I stays on Windows XP.

Please fix this visual defect.

See attached screenshots (JPEGs in ZIP), where I recorded phases of this problem for different applications:

http://www.wnsoft.com/files/test/win8-bug/win8-bug.zip

Two attached screenshots (see all screenshots from the ZIP archive above)

• Edited by Igor Kokarev Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:42 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:39 PM

All replies

• Have you tried not using Aero when changing?
    Change to the windows98 looking interface, then try and disable it.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:45 PM
  • Hi Dylan,

Right. This problem doesn't happen without Aero. Regrettably the Basic theme in Windows 7 looks very ugly.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:50 PM
  • Well then I guess that's the only fix :/
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:57 PM
  • Could you advice please how to submit a bug report for Windows 8 to Microsoft?
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:10 PM
  • The Windows 8 basic theme, looks amazing, and way better than the Aero way. Try it meanwhile.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:14 PM
  • Here read this: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/5227f0c3-7750-4833-a99f-6247041ddee9

Just follow those steps to file a bug.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:18 PM
  • Thanks!
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:19 PM
  • I can't submit bug report, because it's a very complicated by Microsoft. I don't have MSDN or Connect accounts.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:12 AM
  • Anybody else can reproduce this visual problem?
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:19 PM
  • Here is how to register & file a bug.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/de1d67d8-bf19-493b-a143-f422e57b1b0f

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:20 PM
  • Thanks Dylan!

I've successfully downloaded this file and has sent my bug report to Microsoft.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:05 PM
  • You're welcome!
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:07 PM
  • If turn off an option “Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing” (in “Performance Options” window of Windows 8) you may see the following visual defect.

Minimize any window to the taskbar and then click on the icon of this application in the taskbar to restore its window. At this moment you can observe a quick flash of black color (or white color) on the background of the appearing window. It happens quickly (1/10 of second) but I can catch this moment. Personally I find this visual glitch very annoying. Some applications give a black flash (Windows Explorer in Win8 WPD, Google Chrome, etc.), other applications have a white flash (Internet Explorer 10 in Win8). The more large screen resolution, the more noticeable this problem.

1) Indeed it's a very old bug which exists since Windows Vista, Windows 7 and now in Windows 8.

2) And this problem occurs only with Aero Glass user interface. If you turn off desktop composition (DWM), this problem doesn't happen at all.

3) It occurs on any computer with Aero graphical interface, any edition of Windows 8, 7 and Vista. I tested this problem on dozens of computes with same result.

This is the only one reason why I stays on Windows XP.

Please fix this visual defect.

See attached screenshots (JPEGs in ZIP), where I recorded phases of this problem for different applications:

http://www.wnsoft.com/files/test/win8-bug/win8-bug.zip

Two attached screenshots (see all screenshots from the ZIP archive above)

Igor Kokarev.

Yes this is also a problem on Win 7 64 Bit, and needs to be fixed.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:56 PM
  • Yeah, I wrote that this problem happens on Windows Vista, Windows 7 and now on Windows 8.

Mac OSX doesn't have this visual defect.

I think Microsoft should fix this annoying bug as soon as possible.

Friday, September 16, 2011 5:08 AM
  • Please share information about this bug with people from Microsoft. Sadly that I don't know direct email of Steven Sinofsky! I could explain this problem in all details and suggest possible technical solution, because my company is developing graphical software for slideshows which uses Direct 3D.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:29 PM