How to prevent the domain user to access to all project ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I setup tfs 2010 and It's work great,

But what I need is that the team users have username & password for connecting to specific project

now all the clients can connect to all project by their domain user

there is any step by step help doc to do that, I'm beginner in tfs

thank you

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 5:18 PM

Answers

• Hello Hamid,

Thanks for your post.

For your issue, to require a user to type username and password to access a team project, as far as I know there may be  no way to achieve that.

If you don’t grant permissions for a user to access a team project, when you connect the TFS with that user account, you even can’t see these team projects (you don’t have permissions on them) when you click some team project collection.

And if you have connected to one team project collection, you will never be asked to type the username or password when you want to access one team project.

Thanks,

Vicky Song

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

Thursday, November 11, 2010 8:11 AM

All replies

• You can deny access for all domain users (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms253158.aspx) and then add the user accounts that should have access. When TFS has no access, a popup is displayed where the user can enter their credentials. But this only works when the current user has no access.
    Ewald - Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Ewald Hofman
    Blog: www.ewaldhofman.nl
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:22 PM
  • Hello Hamid,

Thanks for your post.

For your issue, to require a user to type username and password to access a team project, as far as I know there may be  no way to achieve that.

If you don’t grant permissions for a user to access a team project, when you connect the TFS with that user account, you even can’t see these team projects (you don’t have permissions on them) when you click some team project collection.

And if you have connected to one team project collection, you will never be asked to type the username or password when you want to access one team project.

Thanks,

Vicky Song

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

Thursday, November 11, 2010 8:11 AM
  • Thank you Ewald for your quick repliment,

but it doesn't work for me ,

I denied default user and group access (reader and administrator,builder , ...) so nothing happened in client ,

It can connect to project easily but when I denied one of project collection member access I couldn't access to project my self,

although I added my administrator windows user and set all permission allow for It.

Thursday, November 11, 2010 1:52 PM
  • Hello Hamid,

For your issue, as far as I know, there may be no method. Just as I mentioned in my last post, if you connected to the TFS, when you access a team project, you don't need to type the user name or password again and again. If you don't have the permission for that team project, you even can't see it in the Team Explorer or when you connect to the Team Foundation Server.

Thanks,

Vicky Song

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 8:58 AM