Versioning Settings RRS feed

• Question

• when define a document library to support versioning,

how can i define that a version will be created only when user choose to add version, and not on any save? (in case of set require check out, does a version will be add only when check-in?)

keren tsur
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 11:10 AM

Answers

• This is provided by default I guess.

When you are checking-in the user can choose to overwrite the existing version, instead of creating a new one. Doing so doesn't create a new version.

Hope this is what you wanted.

Ram Prasad Meenavalli | MCTS SharePoint 2010 | MCPD SharePoint 2010
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 11:17 AM
  • Microsoft Office 2010 is actually quite smart and will not create a new version of the document regardless of how many times you save until you actually close the document.  You can see this in action when you are editing the document and click on the file menu, you will see that it has been saved multiple times but a new version number has not been created.
    Corey Roth - SharePoint Server MVP blog: www.dotnetmafia.com twitter: @coreyroth
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 6:45 PM

All replies

• This is provided by default I guess.

When you are checking-in the user can choose to overwrite the existing version, instead of creating a new one. Doing so doesn't create a new version.

Hope this is what you wanted.

Ram Prasad Meenavalli | MCTS SharePoint 2010 | MCPD SharePoint 2010
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 11:17 AM
  • Microsoft Office 2010 is actually quite smart and will not create a new version of the document regardless of how many times you save until you actually close the document.  You can see this in action when you are editing the document and click on the file menu, you will see that it has been saved multiple times but a new version number has not been created.
    Corey Roth - SharePoint Server MVP blog: www.dotnetmafia.com twitter: @coreyroth
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 6:45 PM