Linux client connecting to Azure Sql - timeout on connecting RRS feed

• Question

• I've got an interesting situation, so bear with me.  :-)

I've got an azure sql instance.  I can connect to it just fine from Windows remotely.  I have someone else that I am working with that is using a Redhat Linux x64 client to connect to the azure sql instance.  The client system is physically sitting in in New Hampshire, not a VM within Azure.  I have set the allowed Sql Azure address range to allow connections from 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255.  Don't worry, we don't plan on keeping it that way forever, just for testing.  

We are trying to test the connection from the Linux client with a tsql utility.  The utility is:

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/natty/man1/tsql.1.html

The Linux client system is getting errors when attempting to connect.  The errors are that there is a long delay and finally:

Error 20009 (severity 9):

Unable to connect: Adaptive Server is unavailable or does not exist

OS error 110, "Connection timed out"

There was a problem connecting to the server

Any thoughts on how to resolve this?  I'm wondering if this a driver issue.  Any thoughts on this?

Wally

MVP in ASP.NET - ASPInsider - Author - Otherwise I am a loser.

Friday, January 30, 2015 8:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Wally,

Azure SQL Database supports tabular data stream (TDS) protocol client version 7.3 or later [link]. Earlier versions of TDS protocol are not supported.

I am by no means an expert with this tool, but it looks like from the documentation that the tsql utility's TDS version is 7.0 [link].  If you're more familiar with the tool, I would appreciate any confirmation or debunking of this answer/data source.

Sunday, February 1, 2015 12:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Wally,

Azure SQL Database supports tabular data stream (TDS) protocol client version 7.3 or later [link]. Earlier versions of TDS protocol are not supported.

I am by no means an expert with this tool, but it looks like from the documentation that the tsql utility's TDS version is 7.0 [link].  If you're more familiar with the tool, I would appreciate any confirmation or debunking of this answer/data source.

Sunday, February 1, 2015 12:19 AM
  • Joseph,

Thank you for the info.  :-)  

Apparently, there was a misconfiguration on the linux client.  How, we are able to connect.  Unfortunately, we are running into a second problem now.  The linux system is unable to get any data back from sql azure.  I've asked the other folks that I am working with to add additional information to this thread incase anyone can be helpful.

Wally

MVP in ASP.NET - ASPInsider - Author - Otherwise I am a loser.

Friday, February 6, 2015 2:31 PM
  • Thanks for sharing Wally, can you provide any more details on the configuration issue in case anyone else runs into this issue?
    Friday, February 6, 2015 3:22 PM