Error 0x80070570 during installation - hash check is fine though...

Question

• So, in addition to the windows 8 tablet they gave us at build, I decided to install it on a spare HP Touchsmart all in one PC for some developing tests, but I'm having problems.

During installation, I'm always getting the error message:
    "Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all required files for installation are available and restart the installation. Error code 0x80070570"

I've tried it from both the build USB drive they gave us, as well as downloading from the developer link and installing via USB drive (I have verified the hash is correct on the downloaded .iso file - 6FE9352FB59F6D0789AF35D1001BD4E4E81E42AF ).

Have searched around the internet but not really found anything of help with this. The error suggests that the installation files may not have downloaded correctly, but the hash is fine, so I'm guessing it's more a hardware issue (have tried in on both the HP touchsmart and the PDC 09 laptop - same error on both). I'm doing a full install onto a blank 1tb hdd, not trying to install into a virtualized environment or anything.

Anyone sucessfully installed Windows 8 yet? Especially any Touchsmart PC's?

Thanks,
    Richard.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:10 PM

Answers

• Since you haven't used a DVD yet it is worth a try if the below info doesn't help.

If you search this forum for "Touchsmart" there are people who have been able to install Windows 8 on them.

Error 0x80070570 can be caused by different problems.

1) Change AHCI settings in BIOS
    A. Boot into the BIOS.
    B. Change from "AHCI" to "ATA" (or something similar)
    C. Press escape, choose Save / Exit.

2) If you downloaded Windows and burned it to a DVD try burning it again at the slowest speed possible. It's also possible the download may have errors, you could try downloading it again.

3) Another reason is there sometimes are folders on your C: drive starting with $ (dollar sign).  Delete those and the problem may be resolved.  Make sure you show hidden and system files in windows explorer options.

4) This can also sometimes be caused by bad RAM.

5) This error might also occur if the hardware is not compatible.

System Requirements

The Windows 8 Developer Preview works great on the same hardware that powers Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
    • 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
    • 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
    • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
    • Taking advantage of touch input requires a screen that supports multi-touch
    • To run Metro style Apps, you need a screen resolution of 1024 X 768 or greater
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 5:06 PM

All replies

• Richard,

Since you're getting the same error on 2 different machines, you may have experienced some corruption during the process of creating the installation media from the ISO you downloaded.  Please try re-creating installation media from the ISO and possibly throttle down the speed to reduce the chance of problems during that process.  Once you've done that try the install again and reply with results.

Regards,

Gary
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 12:33 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Gary,

I'm using the Microsoft Windows tool to create a bootable USB drive and transfer the .iso file to the drive. I've not tried creating an actual DVD (yet!).

In addition, I also tried the USB drive the we were given at the build conference, but I get exactly the same error during installation.

Last night I downloaded the .iso file once more and created the bootable usb drive, but exactly the same problem. Any hints for creating the bootable USB drive other than use the Microsoft tool to do so?

Or should I cut my losses and try burning to DVD instead?

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:34 PM
  • Since you haven't used a DVD yet it is worth a try if the below info doesn't help.

If you search this forum for "Touchsmart" there are people who have been able to install Windows 8 on them.

Error 0x80070570 can be caused by different problems.

1) Change AHCI settings in BIOS
    A. Boot into the BIOS.
    B. Change from "AHCI" to "ATA" (or something similar)
    C. Press escape, choose Save / Exit.

2) If you downloaded Windows and burned it to a DVD try burning it again at the slowest speed possible. It's also possible the download may have errors, you could try downloading it again.

3) Another reason is there sometimes are folders on your C: drive starting with $ (dollar sign).  Delete those and the problem may be resolved.  Make sure you show hidden and system files in windows explorer options.

4) This can also sometimes be caused by bad RAM.

5) This error might also occur if the hardware is not compatible.

System Requirements

The Windows 8 Developer Preview works great on the same hardware that powers Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
    • 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
    • 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
    • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
    • Taking advantage of touch input requires a screen that supports multi-touch
    • To run Metro style Apps, you need a screen resolution of 1024 X 768 or greater
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 5:06 PM