some suggestions for the SmallBasic development group. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello
    This is my first post
    Sorry, it's an electronic translation.

I am an algorithmic logic teacher, I have been teaching high school students from my home via the Internet for about 1 month, the results are excellent. SmallBasic (SB) is a base language to make the leap to a professional language.

I am using the desktop version of SB as the online version does not seem to interpret all the functions of the desktop version.

I expose my classes and show the source code using SB, as well as receiving and evaluating my students where they show me their progress in real time from home.

I have some suggestions for the SB development group.

1: When executing a code and sharing it with the group via the Internet via the desktop version, the source code editing window becomes dark, this dark background damages the display of the execution pop-up window. Also, the source code may not look good to explain the different parts of the algorithm to students.

I suggest only blocking the editing of the source code, allowing the scrolling of the source code to explain its operation to the students, if it is important to show a button to end the program remotely.

2: One strategy for teaching algorithmic logic is to display various source codes in different windows, for the purpose of comparing codes, etc. It is very difficult to maximize a source code editing window in SB, it does not have a button for that purpose, it requires doing it manually and sometimes the title bar is lost and the only option is to close the program and reload the file.

3: A button is also required to hide the help window on the right side.

4: To increase the efficiency of reading files, add a menu of: Latest Recent Files.

5: Set the font size of the text to a specific value as when I view the source code online I constantly ask my students to increase the font size which I cannot see well.
    Friday, August 28, 2020 7:00 PM

Answers

• Did you consider the Small Basic Prime version? It has a debugging mode, the possibility to make a Flowchart of the program and other goodies. Also it has a button to remove the Intellisense help window.

Jan [ WhTurner ] The Netherlands

Saturday, August 29, 2020 9:39 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• 6: Unicode character support
    for example
    <= as aliases of ≤
    > ->  ≥
    <> -> ≠

7: in the graphing window it is very important to add a function that allows choosing the graphing center
    GraphicsWindow.Center (x, y) this allows creating programs that allow the development of mathematical spatial logic, for example graphing of functions, etc.

Thank you
    Saturday, August 29, 2020 4:44 AM
  • Did you consider the Small Basic Prime version? It has a debugging mode, the possibility to make a Flowchart of the program and other goodies. Also it has a button to remove the Intellisense help window.

Jan [ WhTurner ] The Netherlands

Saturday, August 29, 2020 9:39 AM
    Answerer
  • The SB Prime version is great!

SBP version 1.1.7.0 
    github . com/litdev1/SB-IDE/releases
    How nice would this web be available on the main page. =]

• Edited by CompSystems Thursday, September 3, 2020 4:15 PM
    Thursday, September 3, 2020 4:13 PM