none
Content Organizer Not Firing Consistently in DOL RRS feed

  • Question

  • I created a custom workflow in a document library to send items to the Drop Off Library based on a condition.  I created a Content Organizer rule in the Drop Off Library to in turn send the item to another library.

    My workflow is pretty basic:

        Copy Current Item to DOL if a certain value of a custom content type = x
        Update Current Item in DOL (I added this action because my C.O. rule didn't seem to notice the newly added item)

    My C.O. rule basically states:

        Send anything in this library to another Drop Off Library location

    I applied my custom content type to all site collections and associated libraries.

    If I add items directly to the DOL, the C.O. rule works as intended.

    If I add items directly to the document library, I get mixed results:

        Word, PowerPoint, and Excel files will eventually route to the final destination via the DOL after C.O. timer jobs run.

        Other file types (e.g., pdf, csv, msg) will copy to the DOL, but will sit there indefinitely, even if I edit & re-save the properties.  The C.O. rules seem to ignore these types of files. 

    I'm not sure if the problem is orginating with my Content Organizer rule/settings, my custom workflow, or something else.

    I am using SP 2013 (on premises).  Can anyone shed light on this issue?

    Monday, February 13, 2017 10:22 PM

Answers

  • I found the answer.  The problem was with hidden, yet missing, metadata within a parent content type.  For some reason the workflow was stripping this required metadata as it entered the DOL.  I didn't know because the values were hidden from my view in my Document Library and the DOL.  Once I exposed all metadata categories in both libraries, I noticed the inconsistency, hence the error.  Once I repopulated the required metadata, the C.O. rule behaved as normal. 

    Thank you for your assistance.

    • Marked as answer by Kirby Gee Wednesday, February 15, 2017 1:58 PM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2017 1:58 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    Could you check the file(pdf/csv/msg) content type after you uploading to library? Seems you have two content types(one custom and the other default Document).

    And then check the content rule settings( if the property is set properly).

    Or, you could provide screenshots of your settings so others could try to research.

    Best Regards,

    Lee


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

    Tuesday, February 14, 2017 1:50 AM
  • Thanks for the response Lee.

    I double-checked that my custom content type was the default for all libraries.  All of the files in my document library and DOL have my custom content type.

    I double-checked that all of my Content Organizer rules showed my custom content type.  The rule has zero conditions.  It just sends all items to another location.

    I double-checked that all required metadata were present.

    Like I said, it works well with docx, pptx, and xlsx content, but not with others.  Also, everything works well if I upload directly to the DOL.  ...I know, real funky.

    Unfortunately I am unable to provide screenshots of the environment.


    • Edited by Kirby Gee Tuesday, February 14, 2017 2:08 PM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2017 1:59 PM
  • Hi,

    Seems you upload different file types to different libraries, if so, you need setup organizer rule pointing to these libraries, here is one thread for your reference.

    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/a80c3ae9-30e0-450c-aa3e-4c2089cdeb54/use-of-content-organizer-rules-and-email?forum=sharepointgeneral

    Best Regards,

    Lee


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

    Wednesday, February 15, 2017 7:00 AM
  • I found the answer.  The problem was with hidden, yet missing, metadata within a parent content type.  For some reason the workflow was stripping this required metadata as it entered the DOL.  I didn't know because the values were hidden from my view in my Document Library and the DOL.  Once I exposed all metadata categories in both libraries, I noticed the inconsistency, hence the error.  Once I repopulated the required metadata, the C.O. rule behaved as normal. 

    Thank you for your assistance.

    • Marked as answer by Kirby Gee Wednesday, February 15, 2017 1:58 PM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2017 1:58 PM