none
graphics changes position when upgrading from word 2007 to 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have a large number of letters created in word 2007, with a first page header containing a logo. It is positioned on the page by giving xx cm absolute position relative/vertical to the page.

When opening these documents in word 2013 the logo is still correctly positioned.

However: When saving, (and Word asks to upgrade to latest format) - the logo moves a god 10 cm to the right and a bit down...

Checking the positioning it still says correctly xx cm absolute to page, but the position is terribly wrong...

Checking the anchoring it seems that the saving process have moved the anchoring from the first paragraph in the header and to a table which is in the header –and that Word considers absolute positon relative to page as to be relative to the table instead. Neither is convinient...

Any tips greatly appreciated

regards,
    Jon Gunnar Pettersen

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 6:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Jon_Gunnar,

Thanks for your detail information about the secnario.

>>Found out a bit more, with good help: Word is automatically checking the "layout in table cell" (right click graphics, size and pos., size) when upgrading to 2013 - and the option is greyed out and not possible to uncheck.And I'm pretty shure this causes the problem - when manually checking this box before the upgrading to 2013, the logo moves to wrong position.<<

As far as I know, the API to manupulate this feature is Shape.LayoutInCell Property. We can use the code below to uncheck the option:

ActiveDocument.Shapes(1).LayoutInCell = False

However, as far as I know, this feature is not availble in Office 2013. As a workaround, I suggest that you uncheck the option before you upgrading.

Also I you want to use this feature in Office 2013, I suggest that you submit the feedback from link below:
    Office submit feedback

Hope it is helpful.

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Jon Gunnar Pettersen,

Thanks for posting in MSDN forum.

This forum is for developers discussing developing issues involve Word application. Since the issue is more relative to end-user, I suggest that you get more effective response from Office 2013 and Office 365 ProPlus - IT Pro General Discussions or Community forum.

In addition, to help other communities understand the issue exactly, a sample document or screenshot will be appreciate.

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, October 17, 2014 5:28 AM
  • Hi Fei,

Thanks for your comments. I will post to that other forum as well.

From my point of view, this is a developer question – simply because I am the developer who have made all the templates and VBA-addins for this company, and now trying to make a workaround to this problem.

I was hoping to find a registry setting or similar to disable this behavior for all 1200+ users once and for all, or second best distribute an add in to correct the error by programmatically move the logo to correct positon – ex when the user is opening or saving an old document.  I am working at the latter one now, but still hoping there would be a better way – writing some VBA code to automatically change the documents is a bit dangerous…

Found out a bit more, with good help: Word is automatically checking the "layout in table cell" (right click graphics, size and pos., size) when upgrading to 2013 - and the option is greyed out and not possible to uncheck.And I'm pretty shure this causes the problem - when manually checking this box before the upgrading to 2013, the logo moves to wrong position.

Anyone knowing av way to clear this option for a graphic from VBA? Or preventing Word to behave this way?

Best regards

Jon-Gunnar

Friday, October 17, 2014 7:10 AM
  • Hi Jon_Gunnar,

Thanks for your detail information about the secnario.

>>Found out a bit more, with good help: Word is automatically checking the "layout in table cell" (right click graphics, size and pos., size) when upgrading to 2013 - and the option is greyed out and not possible to uncheck.And I'm pretty shure this causes the problem - when manually checking this box before the upgrading to 2013, the logo moves to wrong position.<<

As far as I know, the API to manupulate this feature is Shape.LayoutInCell Property. We can use the code below to uncheck the option:

ActiveDocument.Shapes(1).LayoutInCell = False

However, as far as I know, this feature is not availble in Office 2013. As a workaround, I suggest that you uncheck the option before you upgrading.

Also I you want to use this feature in Office 2013, I suggest that you submit the feedback from link below:
    Office submit feedback

Hope it is helpful.

Best regards

Fei

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:13 AM