none
My application with BingMaps doesn't function when I use it on a new computer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I bought a new PC and try to use my BingMaps programm, made of VisualStudio and VB.net, on it.

This programm worked some years on my old PC without a problem. But now - nothing works like expected.
    Not an only simple map is shown in my WebBrowserControl not anymore.
    I think, I doesn't need a new key?

What can it be?

Regards-

Dietrich

Friday, March 6, 2020 3:53 PM

All replies

• Hi Dietrich. 

If your code is for an older version of the WebControl, such as V6 or V7, it will need to be modified to work with the newer control V8.  However, since you are using VB, why not rewrite your App to use the UWP control in Windows rather than the WebControl?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, March 9, 2020 5:26 PM
    Owner
  • Hi IoTGirl,
    I work with VisualBasic since version 3.0 and now it is VS2019, VB.Net. I updated the system constantly.
    Today the WebBrowsercontrol is 4.6.1.0 .NET-Component.

How can I get the control V8? And what is the UWP control?

Regards-

Dietrich

Monday, March 9, 2020 5:40 PM
  • Hi Dietrich,

That sounds like you are just offering a browser control and navigating the page.  If you open the same URL in a browser, does it also fail?

Note if you are trying to actually add a Map into your application I recommend looking at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/maps-and-location/

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, March 9, 2020 10:33 PM
    Owner
  • Hi IoTGirl,

basically my programm works this way:
    I have a a HTML-File with a lot of Javascript included. The main part is to get the map (Bing) from an address. After the map is loaded via VB.net programm into the WebBrowserControl the programm carries out InvokeScripts to transfer some variable values to the WebBrowser.Document (such as a NEW address of a location). This method of operating worked 2 years yet until I bought this new computer.
    Now this method works randomly only. Sometimes the new address shows the appropriate map, sometimes not. And this is the problem. I can't detect a programming error. I had a try with different timeouts until the loading of my HTML-File but with no success.

Sincerely,

Dietrich

Tuesday, March 10, 2020 8:31 AM
  • Hi Dietrich,

I can't realistically debug your code or hardware so the only thing I can offer here is to help you simplify.  Rather than calling a massive script, maybe a simple static map call would be better? Less prone to failure?

You can configure the static Map API very easily as outlined here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/bingmaps/rest-services/imagery/get-a-static-map

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, March 10, 2020 4:09 PM
    Owner