Why do Database Generated Values create columns when their values are always default? RRS feed

• Question

• User1790019738 posted

Hi, 

I have a model and one of the properties is a calculation based on another property (average age).

Below is just pseudo code and I have not tested it. 

public class Person
    {
    public int Id { get; set; }
    public string FirstName { get; set; }
    public string LastName { get; set; }
    public int Age { get; set; }

[DatabaseGenerated(DataGeneratedOption.Computed)]
    public string FullName
    {
    get { return FirstName + " " + LastName; }
    private set { }
    }
    }

public class Students { public int Id { get; set; }
    .... public virtual ICollection<Person> People { get; set; } [DatabaseGenerated(DatabaseGeneratedOption.Computed)] public int AverageAge { get { return People.Sum(p=>p.Age) / People.Count; } private set {} } }

In another similar example that I tried, the above would generate columns for both FullName and AverageAge, with default values.

Now from my understanding of this line [DatabaseGenerated(DatabaseGeneratedOption.Computed)], the values are re-calculated when a row is added or updated - which is great for my usecase. 

My questions:

1. If all the values generated via `Identity` or `Computed` are not set in the application, but rather, the database is responsible, then why does the database even create a new column considering these columns only seem to contain identical, default values? 
    2. With the assumption above, what happens if you add the attribute [NotMapped] to those properties? The column would not get generated, but does the calculation still occur?
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 4:12 PM

All replies