none
Trial Mode and New Releases RRS feed

• Question

• How does a new release of an app impact the trial period? Specifically...

1. If somebody is using an app in the trial mode and there is a new release which they download, is the trial period reset or do they have a count from the date they first downloaded?
    2. If someone downloaded release 1 but did not buy after the trial expired, can they download release 2 in trial mode?

Thanks

Friday, January 18, 2013 8:41 PM

Answers

• Time limited trials start for the user from the moment they download the trial for the first time.  The time period is NOT reset by updates, reinstallations on other machines, etc.

Arik Cohen

Principal Lead Program Manager

Windows Store

Monday, January 21, 2013 5:49 AM

All replies

• Time limited trials start for the user from the moment they download the trial for the first time.  The time period is NOT reset by updates, reinstallations on other machines, etc.

Arik Cohen

Windows Store

Monday, January 21, 2013 5:49 AM
  • Thanks Arik,

Is there any way to reset the trial period? Someone may publish a first rev app. Feedback from early users may be that an additional feature is critical. Once that feature is implemented the developer would likely want to give people another opportunity to try the app.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 11:42 PM
  • Unfortunately, there is no capability to do that for existing users of the trial.

Arik Cohen

Windows Store

Friday, January 25, 2013 11:51 PM
  • There must be an option for developers to reset trial with every release.

In my situation, my app is released with a 7 day trial. A user trying my app pointed out a bug in my app. The fixed version is released.  But the user emailed me again asking if he can try it again now that his trial period is over?

We need the option to reset trial. 

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 5:23 AM
  • I second this. This is a necessary addition to the already lacking developer dashboard/windows store system in general.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:02 AM
  • I also need the trail reset.  Release 1 had 7 day trial but my release 2 in unlimited trial period.  Now if someone tried and expired in release 1 they cannot try release 2 with unlimited trial.
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 9:36 PM
  • has there been any change on this over the years? It makes sense for a trial to be "resettable" either automatically for each new version update, or at least manually by the developer with the dashboard

a workaround would be to release a "totally new app" (=the same!) but this is not ideal because you lose all the reviews etc

Thursday, November 10, 2016 8:54 AM